Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I stepped right in it this time- Takeuchi tb 135

DirtWorksExc ยท 2010-05-26 11:14

I have been running excavators/equipment for 10+ years, I've never even put a single dent in any of my machines. Well there had to come a day. I was on the side of a hill working crossways and raised the dipper too high and over I went. The machine it's self is just fine minus a few scratches but the real bitch is that when the motor was on its side facing down hill the crank case oil started pouring into the cylinders and it started burning the oil as fuel. With no way to shut it down I just had to stand their and watch it tach out of control, billowing smoke until it through a rod through the block. xxxx me. Now I get to replace a motor that only had 490 hours on it. Oh joy. So the question is: does anyone know where to get a short block for a Yanmar 3tnv88-q or even just a block I can rebuild? Do you think I should attempt repairing the broken one? Thanks for reading this and any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies19
  1. #1digger242j2010-05-26 12:43

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums. I sure wish you could've joined us and started posting with something happier. I can't help you with your question, but it's funny--just yesterday, as I was operating a mini on a rather steep slope, a guy asked me if I'd ever had one go over. I was able to answer no, but I guess it could happen to any of us, at any time. Hopefully somebody will be able to help you out finding that engine. Let us know how things work out.

  2. #2xcmark2010-05-26 17:39

    Sorry to hear about your bad luck , In the future you may want to keep in mind they used to stop a run away detroit by cutting off the air on the intake. Maybe a fire extinguser in the intake or rain coat would do the trick if it happends to any one else.

  3. #3CM19952010-05-26 17:56

    Does your TB 135 have an emergency cut-off switch? And if it does did you try it? The reason I ask is I had a pipe sub placing some RCP on a small lot with a Tak 145 a few years ago. His foreman flipped the machine while setting pipe. As soon as he got to his feet, he hit the emergency kill switch and it did not stop the engine. The result was the same as yours, shot motor. After a month of haggling with the dealer and Takeuchi over the kill switch not working, they replaced his engine either at no charge or he just had to pay the labor to install it, I can't remember exactly. I think his machine was a '06 or '07.

  4. #4DirtWorksExc2010-05-27 15:08

    advise XC, you are absolutely correct. I wish I had thought about it at the time. Maybe I could have saved the motor. CM- It does have an emergency cut-off switch, and I used it. I also pulled out the key and the fuel filter. That's why I think it was burning engine oil. Maybe I am wrong.

  5. #5strott2010-05-27 15:52

    So turning off the key didn't stop the engine running then??

  6. #6OneWelder2010-05-27 16:39

    Really the only way to stop an engine that is running on crankcase oil is to stop air supply - which is difficult to impossible

  7. #7DirtWorksExc2010-05-27 18:38

    Turning off the key made no difference at all. I was reading the manual and it says that this machine has an emergency shut-off system when the oil or coolant gets low. I would think that the engine being on its side would constitute low oil pressure. I am curious if this is the case with all diesel engines? If any diesel motor goes on its side is it going to race to its death or is there some kind of system to stop it? What do you guys think the chances of me pestering the Takeuchi dealer until they give me a new motor? I can't help from thinking that this is not an uncommon occurrence and should have been taken into consideration when it was designed.

  8. #8OneWelder2010-05-27 18:44

    The crankcase oil became the engine fuel - so shutting fuel supply from tank will not work - most of these engine protection system have an electric solenoid to shut off fuel supply

  9. #9Hendrik2010-05-27 21:33

    Depends how much damage was done to the engine, try this site http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/engines/engine_details.cfm?id=38006 http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/engines/engine_details.cfm?id=36935

  10. #10GaryHoff2010-06-16 20:07

    The only way to stop a run away engine like that is to shut off the air supply using a shut off valve or physically blocking off the air intake yourself with any readily objects. http://www.rodadeaco.com The factory shut off that you are refering too is only a fuel shut off. It is very unlikely that the dealer will warranty your engine due to the fact of a roll over.

  11. #11irwin2010-06-16 20:42

    I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I could get the cover off and block off enough of the intake filter box to smoother the air flow on the Kubota.. probably not. On the NH L555 it should be easy.. unless I was on my back... that would be tough. Of course just getting my fat outta shape body outta the skid steer should be a trick in itself. Sorry about your engine DirtWorksExc .. glad you're okay..

  12. #12joispoi2010-06-17 11:55

    One way to ensure that the engine shuts off whether running on diesel or crankcase oil would be to have a CO2 (no dry chem or water cans) fire extinguisher plumbed into the air intake. It wouldn't even have to be a fire extingisher. It could be any small bottle of CO2 or Argon. There could even be a solenoid operated valve that could be tied in with the emergency fuel shut-off if the machine is equipped with one.

  13. #13texascadillac422010-06-17 14:18

    Try calling these guys. They have a ton of Yanmar engines and may have what you need. http://arsco.com/

  14. #14bobcatmechanic2010-06-22 20:57

    we had a guy that worked for my old job that put a injection pump back in and on the side of the block it tells you where the fuel rack goes so the governor works correctly he didnt pay attention to that threw it in hooked it all back up and watch the black smoke roll. still farly new at the time ran and got one of the more expierenced guys and said this tool cat is running away with its self. he came out in a hurry and was able to crack injector lines and stop the motor. told the guy pull it out and put it back in correct he pulled it out and put it back in the same way again click vrooom waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa black smoke so thick you could not see the last two bays of the shop and ran that way for proably five minutes before we got it shut sown again ended up pulling the air inlet hose off and stuffed a two by four over the air inlet. after all the more expierenced mechanic put the pump back in and then the head was cracked from being hot replaced it and shipped it out i don't believe the owner was told it ran away with its self two times dont know for sure though

  15. #15MrKomatsu2013-05-17 07:05

    In theory when a engine is burning crankcase oil in stead of fuel it is in fact running backwards...

  16. #16rossaroni2013-05-17 08:00

    I was pulling flipped stumps as big as the 301.5 on a hillside last night. There were definitely a few times I thought I was gone. I'm sorry to hear that about the engine. Not that it would have helped, but a diesel tech buddy of mine who does some re-tuning said his most used tool was a phone book...he always took the air cleaner off, and if things got out of control, he would throw the book over the inlet. Instant shutdown.

  17. #17Lindsey972013-05-18 17:38

    consider looking on machinerytrader.com, "dismantled machines". i found a thumb in michgan, and there were a few other tb135's and one tb235 that are being parted out. i would buy the whole motor and assemble a good one out what you have. you might have some spare parts left and be able to sell them to recoup your losses. the yanmar engine used in our tb135's are also used to power case, kobelco, yanmar, and maybe deere/hitachi/airman/ihi. sorry to hear about the machine and hope you arent injured and feeling ok.

  18. #18permaculturist2013-08-10 20:03

    So If you flip any diesel engine on its side, it will run until it blows up?

  19. #19powerjoke2013-08-10 21:53

    Off subject kinda but..... Not sure if its true or not but I heard a story of a guy that had a scraper that was a runaway and he pulled the rain cap off the air filter and not having anything like a board to plug it with he put his belly on it, summertime no shirt and sweat made a good seal...... From what I understand he died a couple days later in the hospital from internal problems. As the story goes it was a local guy and happened many many years ago. Pj