Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I think my technique has improved a bit

Fatjay ยท 2015-04-16 14:55

Anything i'm doing blatantly wrong? I know they're not big stumps but still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_QKwwxae4

Replies4
  1. #1CM19952015-04-16 19:07

    Try digging on the one side of the tree, move to the other side and push away from you. This method also works better for larger trees. If you push from the side that still has the roots intact, towards the side you've dug, the tree will go in the direction of least resistance - away from you and the machine. Don't pull the trees towards you and the machine - when one of those limbs whacks you across the face it's going to hurt like hell or worse..

  2. #2Fatjay2015-04-16 20:14

    Yeah I learned that the hard way earlier today. Tried to get under it and it came down on me. I'm concerned with pushing because I don't want to hit the hard lines and break them, or am I being overly cautious? It picked up the big one right away and I was able to move it pretty easily, so I'm happy about that. Machine almost runs like a modern hoe as I'm figuring out how to use it.

  3. #3CM19952015-04-16 20:35

    Push the trees with the back of the bucket and roll the bucket out as your pushing. This puts the bucket teeth as the last point of contact as the tree goes down and allows you to control where it goes.

  4. #4jimg9842015-04-17 00:36

    now head to those 20 inch poplar trees down by the creek j/k those are bushes u show digging good luck with your machine