Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I’ve seen tires, and steel tracks over tires, but never steel tires..

crane operator ยท 2019-03-22 20:40

Saw this on a craigslist ad for tree clearing. I'm guessing there are foam filled tires under the steel grouser rims, with big lags into the tire holding the steel rim/tire on. But I'm just guessing, they look custom. Kinda farmer custom, but the best things usually are. You wouldn't worry about taking on a grove of locust trees with them. And there is a lot of that in southeast missouri. But I don't think I'd be up for any pavement running with them.

Replies16
  1. #1Ronsii2019-03-22 20:57

    So that's what they mean by 'steel belted'

  2. #2Theweldor2019-03-22 21:01

    I would put odds on it, You could take all the counter weight off. Those things probably weigh 24 oz to the pound.

  3. #3KSSS2019-03-22 21:56

    LOL! Someone blew a tire in the middle of BFE and said NEVER AGAIN! Where there is a will, there is a way.

  4. #4DIYDAVE2019-03-22 22:09

    Looks like its been Amished...

  5. #5Wytruckwrench2019-03-22 22:19

    Not a bad idea!

  6. #6ol'stonebreaker2019-03-22 23:13

    many years ago company I worked for had a 988 with steel tracks mounted on tires. It was used for working shot rock. It was an extremely rough ride!! I guess you could call it a portable rock crusher, LOL!! Mike

  7. #7ttazzman2019-03-22 23:21

    im thinking i would be easy to make a set with a much smaller rim on the inside ...and just inflate the tire inside the steel to a very tight fit....i would say the huge outside rim is to protect outside sidewalls...might get rough to clean out dirt and gravel

  8. #8hvy 1ton2019-03-23 02:19

    I have foam filled tires for the same reason. Also why I have airplane tires on the brushog. I don't know why that skidsteer has so much counterweight when the shear doesn't have any grab arms.

  9. #9kshansen2019-03-23 17:37

    I believe that was a 87A 988 with the Dystred Cushion Track system, never had the pleasure of seeing one in person just in parts books and service manuals. Did find a good picture of one:

  10. #10Nige2019-03-24 05:32

    The forerunner of tyre chains .......... they were later referred to as beadless tyres on the 992.

  11. #11Tones2019-03-24 08:38

    In the early 80's I was on site and there was a 988b with that tyre setup. It did over 20,000 hrs loading shot rock and no punctures. Scratchin the noggin abit, seem to think Firestone made the rubber.

  12. #12kshansen2019-03-24 10:05

    Probably way OT but just had to add this picture to the tire and wheel thread! Think this may have been used as a roller of some type.

  13. #13Ronsii2019-03-24 10:40

    Those wheels look concrete filled...

  14. #14kshansen2019-03-24 13:29

    Yep! That they are! Guess they are do it your self wheel weights! Think the ride might be a bit on the rough side!

  15. #15Birken Vogt2019-03-24 15:35

    I always wondered on those big cast iron monstrosity rollers, and old dozers also, why they made the wheels spokes instead of solid. Trying to save weight on something where weight is an asset?

  16. #16DMiller2019-03-24 17:30

    Man makes my teeth hurt thinking of riding on these and I have a steel track crawler!!!