Hi folks Possibly a strange request but I'd like to spend some time on snow removal in Canada or the US this winter. I've run wheel loaders for over 25 years now both in quarries and in agriculture. Question is how and when do I apply for these jobs and outside of the obvious drawbacks of working nights in the freezing cold is there any pitfalls I should no about?. I would need a job offer to get a work permit so I'm a little curious to get some answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated
snowplowing forums would be the best bet. Erie, pa Syracuse Ny. Upper Michigan, other locations get clobbered and have lots of work when it gets bad. BTW most all "plow" snow, some "load" snow into trucks (usually in Feb. when we can't stack it any higher) very rare for an actual "snowblower" the rate is too high, the damage one can cause as well.
Thanks doug. I guess I'm after a job clearing parking lots or something but doubt I can get consistent hours over the winter. I'm going to look into the it a little more but if anyone has a suggestions that would be great too
I was thinking just get a job at home... oh, Ireland, awesome. You have set your sights on an invisible target, last year, New England got zip for snow, maybe half a foot all year, the year before we picked up 8 feet or more. Perhaps some place in the mountains might be a good place to check. ********.com would be a good start.
I don't know how you get a US work permit. It is do-able if an employer jumps through the hoops for a J-1 work visa. Your best bet to get work pushing snow around are ski resorts. Many of the resorts hire non-resident (foreign) workers every year, and the ski hills have employees groom and plow snow. (The J-1 hires usually do menial stuff, but that's not to say they wouldn't hire a J-1 as a groomer. (They don't pay very much, though. But the locations are great.)) The big, nation-wide, resort management companies are out of Colorado. As far as snow removal contractors, there is a snow and ice management industry association. The larger companies are usually members. Steve has a snow removal forum, too!
Best I could offer is use of my walk behind Ariens Snowblower and a couple hundred feet of driveway! Just North of Syracuse they do get a good amount of snow, most years, but not so much last year. A few of the local communities do have big snow blowers but not sure they would hire someone for the winter their own people like the Overtime in the winter.
Yeah, the the good jobs or positions already have guys waiting in line for them.
U Love to turn wrench's and melt down rods *in Weather ) and have people hate on me
You Must be a Certified stupid mechanic to blow snow.
Hello Healy' Did i ever tell you that I've never Officially Hijacked a thread here?