Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I want to run the biggest and baddest

MMSOCAL ยท 2008-01-01 01:52

I am out here in southern cal, although i am happy working for my current employer and could ask for much more than they have given me. My only problem is that i dont see myself running anything bigger than the 375 i am on now, i've run alot bigger hoe's 1100 ex me(2yrs) and 5130(part time fill in). My goal is to run the biggest and baddest of front shovels or excavators. Does anyone have any tips on picking up a job running a shovel. I understand at my age its not likely but i know i could do it, it is just a matter of getting the seat time and a chance to prove it to someone.. :usa

Replies8
  1. #1Eric2008-01-01 23:02

    Yeah, you gotta get into mining, We run a 5230, Also P&H 4100 and 2300 electric shovels. Electric shovels are pretty cool, the controls are opposite of an excavator, swing with right stick. Anyway, age really isn't a factor in a mine IF you have prior expiereince, and if you are mature and don't come off as a "kid". Best luck to you.

  2. #2Steele2008-01-03 20:14

    Well first off you should be grateful for the position you currently have. Nothing wrong with having goals and looking forward to bigger and better opportunities. Not sure how much seat time you have under your belt, but I've been playing in the dirt for almost 30 years; followed the boom town areas from Chicago to San Diego. I left San Diego back in 1992, when the last recession hit, and hit hard in southern Cal. The out of work list was 1+ year long out of Local 12. All indications are that we might be heading for tougher times, maybe even another recession. If you have a good job currently and have put together some seniority, then you might be wise to stick it out and keep that paycheck coming in. Eric offered you some great advice, if you want to go "Big", then mining is the direction you should consider. The biggest equipment I've ever operated, let alone seen, has been at the couple mines I have worked. I ran a Cat 994 for a couple years at the American Girl Gold Mine in Winterhaven, CA. 12 hour days, 6 on, 4 off. Made a lot of money, got variety when I got bored loading truck ( ran a blade maintaining haul roads, ran a D11 ripping and pushing, drove haul trucks). Was fun and made good money, what more could you ask for ??? Good luck to you MMSOCAL. Hope you enjoy your career as much as I have all these years. :thumbsup

  3. #3surfer-joe2008-01-03 21:25

    Look into employment ads for copper mining firms working in Arizona. You can also check out the ads on MinExpo. Some are free, but most are only available to paying customers. It's an interesting site anyway.

  4. #4MMSOCAL2008-01-03 21:51

    :usa Believe me i am very thankful to be where i am, at my age i should still be on the D1, i remind myself all the time. The contactor i work for has done a great job of keeping me working even through the recession we are having now, not to mention that im running quite posibly the nicest excavator in the company, atleast the largest. Luckily my company works closely with some mining companies so i have the advantage of getting in close with some plant managers and pit formens. I have a very good reference list, and a half decent resume too. I've got about 6000 hours on excavators from when I started out in high school working at the landfill to now. Thank you for the advice i will look into to some mining companies, i dont plan on changing anything soon, 5 years or so unless somthing comes along i cant resist.:usa

  5. #5YoungOne2008-01-04 16:01

    MMSOCAL, Being that i am nineteen myself and in a similar situation. I understand. I started off with an equipment program while still in highschool and finishing up my college degree at the same time. Realized that i really loved this stuff. Started working for a small company with a shovel, Eventually i could read plans, set up concrete forms. And run the roller. Then i left for more ARMY training. And when I got back i didnt have a job due to lack of work, but i went to wal-mart got a job. And then got rehired by my former employer. I was put in a brand new d4lgp to start out with, And before i lost my job due to management issues ( theyve recently called me back to work ) I was operating a D8T in which i put the first hours on. I just got a job at a local mine running a 10N. Like you, i have to remind myself everything that i am nineteen and the older guys look at me as being a " kid " but i've noticed that if you mature,ask questions and stay focused on your work. The places we can go is endless. Older people doubt the younger generation all the time. Some are born into machinery, Some of us have to learn at an older age. Moral of all this is Keep your head up, great things look ahead for us. I'm not willing to lose. In life, in the industry, in anything. -Michael- HOOAH!:usa

  6. #6Eric2008-01-04 21:15

    From the sounds of it you guys will be fine. I don't doubt the younger generation. We all were there once. One of the best operators I know is only 22. You got the right attitude.

  7. #7ozscooper2008-01-04 21:26

    i had the pleasure of training a bloke that had never seen a scraper in his life straight from a supermarket into a sand pit. all he knew was that he wanted to be a good operator and make it to the top of our small field, after 3 months on a 51e he was put onto d11 push dozer and after 4 months was one of our main production operators. im sure he would have went a long way in the mining game but his life was cut very short. if you really want something and make it your number one goal you will make it no matter what!

  8. #8Finance Guy2008-01-07 14:52

    I would look at the gold mines. I work with some gold mining companies as far as financing some of their equipment and the last piece was a Komatsu PC 5500. Very large machine!!!! Finance Guy