Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ID Help

kenaidon ยท 2013-10-27 06:52

Hi Everyone , I reciently became the owner of a Michigan 175a Loader , I'm trying to get some info on it to figure out what if anything i can get parts for . I have figured out its a series 1 by the placement of the Loader arms, I found a serial # tag on the engine, its a Detroit 4-71. ? is there another serial number on the machine somewhere ? I really need info on fluids and what kind of parts are avalible. thanks Don

Replies3
  1. #1kshansen2013-10-27 10:07

    You sure it's a 4-71? seems a little small for a 175. Should have a Clark transmission and axles so those should have tags on them someplace. I'll check in the old literature I have at work and see if I have anything on the old Michigans we used to have. Seems like the 175 I recall had a 6V-71 and used some nasty black oil in the axles. Quick check of old files looks like the 175 we had was a 175B might be newer than yours but I'll see what I have in the morning.

  2. #261BG2013-10-27 17:29

    Some of the old Michigans had the serial number in the cab in & around the seat. The number is also usually stamped on the right side of the rear frame rail above or in front of the counterweight. If you can find it one of us on here can tell you the year, etc. Good luck & keep us posted!

  3. #3953 428 122013-10-31 11:47

    the old 175 had 4-71 GM diesels in 1958. I ran a few new ones loading uranium ore at Grants, NM