Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ID this scraper, old pulltype

farmeracb ยท 2016-03-07 21:25

Can anyone help with the Manufacturer of this old scraper?

Replies17
  1. #1d9gdon2016-03-07 23:04

    Bored Farmer brand, no doubt. LOL.

  2. #2Shimmy12016-03-07 23:09

    Wonder if those were ever patented?? Bahaha

  3. #3old-iron-habit2016-03-08 09:32

    Super Tonka, For over age 16.

  4. #4farmeracb2016-03-10 17:26

    I take it thats a no. LOL I doubt many farmers had the capability in the 50's to roll the steel and edges, or had a tracer torch of some kind in the barn. Im pretty sure its factory made

  5. #5Delmer2016-03-10 18:12

    What makes you think it's from the 50's? The hydraulic cylinder mount stands out the most to me, there's no way that a machine would be designed that way. The cylinders were salvaged off of something else, maybe the same with the hub and axle. I don't have a brake, but I could get that steel bent in 30 minutes if nobody's in line already.

  6. #6farmeracb2016-03-10 18:45

    The axle has a cam on it that is machine cut, with links to the pan and front part of the bowl. As the cylinders push, it either opens the bowl when lowering or dumps the pan out the back when raising. All works off of the cam welded to the axle with a bearing follower, actuated by those two cylinders. The machine welding process is consistent with the welding on other old equipment I have restored from the 40's and 50's, and the square head bolts and stove head pins are also consistent with that era.

  7. #7Delmer2016-03-10 20:50

    Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong... If there's another picture online, I haven't found it yet. If it really is that old the cylinders have been replaced in any case.

  8. #8d9gdon2016-03-10 21:09

    I just wonder if maybe Sears Roebuck or Montgomery Ward might be to blame for it. They sold everything. I can believe it came from the 40's or 50's, seems like there were dozens of manufacturers jumping on the hot item of that era (scraper) to get a piece of the pie after the post war boom.

  9. #9farmeracb2016-03-10 21:35

    Delmer I agree with you on the cylinders being replaced, the brackets that hold them are a little flaky but the vertical struts that attach to the top of the cylinders are consistent with the rest of the thing. I will try to get a few more pictures, I have not had success finding another either. I also agree with the mail order catalog idea. It is definitely not a thousands of yards a year machine

  10. #10d9gdon2016-03-10 22:40

    Maybe you need a lawn tractor with a push block to really get some production LOL. I do have a horse drawn tumblebug scraper just a little smaller. Yeah, post some more pics of the cam system and ram setup when you get time.

  11. #11Delmer2016-03-10 22:46

    I guess when you think about what hydraulic cylinders from the 40's and 50's looked like, you understand why those pins look too long and the linkage looks too wide and cumbersome.

  12. #12farmeracb2016-03-11 09:39
  13. #13farmeracb2016-03-11 09:50

    Your assessment of the hydraulic cylinders I agree with. They are allis-chalmers cylinders most likely from a planter that were made to fit. I do think originally there were cylinders attached in a similar manner, although I cannot visualize how they would have been attached to the back of the bowl. The links that run to the top of the cylinders, along with the brackets on the axle seem to be original to me anyhow. You can see from the pictures that i am trying to free and straighten everything, at some point the cylinder that was bent in the picture looks as though it was run into something and bent the rear of the bowl and some of the linkage. Although the cylinder mount was re-welded to accommodate the bent support, i would say it was used again after the first time it was bent and this cylinder is the second victim. Maybe a problem with how the load is placed on that cylinder bent it?

  14. #14Delmer2016-03-11 21:05

    Exactly. Maybe the original was massively overbuilt and could take the side load on the cylinder rod? Or maybe the mounting detail never did work very well for very long? That little rod can't take that side load, it needs to rotate freely on greased pins.

  15. #15RZucker2016-03-12 20:46

    Looking at the pics, is this something from Towner or Kilifer? Definetly looks factory made to me

  16. #16Delmer2016-03-12 22:43

    https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=2350&aid=76421&lid=19149005 http://www.sachsehistoricalsociety....icalsociety-org/downloads/7041/P1240075-m.jpg There's a slight resemblance in the tongues of these, but that's a pretty weak connection...

  17. #17Randy882016-03-28 05:50

    Looks like a dump scraper someone updated to put wheels under it.