Unfortunately, I sold my SuperM today to make room for a mini-excavator Anyway, I want to buy an older, much less expensive backhoe to load trucks, move some piles and maybe once in a while use the backhoe for actual backhoe digging. I mostly want it to load soil into trucks. Wish list: must have a non-rusted enclosed cab, AC and 4x4. E-hoe would be a bonus. That being said, I would like to spend under $25,000. I'd really like to spend ~$20,000. I found a '90 Case 580K 4x4 with cab, A/C & new tires (no e-hoe though ) for a mere $16,500. It's in great shape. Dry, minimal rust. I also found a '98 Deere 310 SE with all the requirements, but it's $25,000. I just don't have that much to throw into another backhoe. Anyone else know where there's a "bargain" backhoe laying around that meets my requirements? What do you think of the 580K? The Deere 310SE? Thanks
I ain't an operator, but from a mechanics point of view (working on them), I'd take a late model 580K over any of them. Tough machines, not too heavy, well built with good components. The Ductile Iron hoe boom is as tough as an anvil. My second choice would be the Deere 310D or even a C (for inexpensive loader/hoe). The C is, I think, comparable the the 580K. The D is a darn good machine, a little heavier and generally a little more spendy, but not much. As for parts, Case and Deere both have excellent parts support in my area.
310SE vs 580K, 310SE all the way!
I didn't say the 580K is "the best that's ever been". Remember, Duke said he's looking for a "less expensive" loader/backhoe. That's the reason I recommended the 580K, it is just that.
I know I know........ The newer K's are decent machines. Myself personally would go for the 310SE. I still swear the Super L's out of any Case models.
The Deere SE is top notch. The Case Super L, also, is a fine machine. But he's looking for 25 big one's max. If you found an SE for that, it's worn out. You might, I say might, run across a deal on a Super L for that in this economy. We have to recommend a "good" loader hoe in the 15 - 25K range. I say a late 580K or Deere 310D.
Since you had a Case and were happy with it before and you will be getting a mini (what size?) I would go with the older Case, 9 grand savings, its in good shape seems hard to pass on. You will find that you are going to do most any digging you can with the excavator so the e-hoe wont be that big of a loss.Good Luck!!! Make sure to poist pics!
Try to remember I'm mostly using the backhoe's FEL to load piles of dirt . I will not be using the "business end" of the backhoe but a few times a month. So what I'm really buying is a 4-WD front end loader with a cab & air that has a backhoe on it as a backup for a mini-ex. I hear the K's don't have a lot of lifting power. So even though that K I found was cheap, if it can't load well, then I might have to pass on it. It would be nice to know what they can lift. What I really want is a good loader more than a backhoe. The reason I'd still like to have an E-hoe is for resale-ability and of course the one or 2 times/month it might save my butt at work.
I found a 310SE4x4 with ~4500 hrs with cab/air/ehoe for $25,000, but it needs to be shipped 750 miles. So the dealer will have to come down substantially in price to get my business. http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/find/listing/1998-JOHN-DEERE-310SE-94337839
Hmm, I haven't heard operators complain about the K's lifting power. Or could it be lifting power compared to what? Are we comparing them to a newer/stronger machine? Maybe there's some operators here could confirm that.
The 3 machines I have owned have been a 410B, 580E and a 310C. The loader performance on all have been fine. I like the machines of this vintage because they were the last of the mechanical machines. The parking brake, transmission shifter, 4x4 shifter were all mechanical rather than electrical. For a machine that may be seldomly used but must be relied upon to go on a moments notice, I suggest them rather than the newer and more convenient electrically controlled machines. They are cheaper and for limited use, their rudimentary controls are not a real hinderance.
I agree, the 310C is a tough old Deere. Not a bad machine. The D is a totally different machine than the C. I like both of them. But as you stated, the C is a more "mechanical" operated machine, good for low cost extended periods of resting. It can work 5 days a week; or it can sit for 2 months, jump on it and load a truck or dig a hole.
I'm really leaning to the 580K. The price is almost irresistable and the seller seems really honest. I guess if I have the mini-ex, the ehoe seems a lot less necessary. At this point, I think I'd rather have a 4/1 bucket than an E-hoe. The 580K is so cheap, it might leave me enough $$ to add 3rd function out front and buy a 4/1 bucket used somewhere. Ideally, if I could just find a superK (or any name brand hoe) with a 4/1 and cab w/ AC I'd be set. The mini-ex would have aux hydraulics to run a breaker.
wow that's going to be a hard switch going from the M to that K i would look hard at the K I know they did have probelms with the tanks . see the a/c in the m has got you spoiled now lol by the way just curiouse what ya sold it for that was a nice machine . I like case alwasy have but i would maybe be looking at the 310 . here is an '88k 1988 , 580K ex/hoe 4x4 backhoe/loader - $14500 (mendon,ma -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?] Date: 2009-02-28, 11:17AM EST 1988, 4x4 extend-a-hoe runs great, good tires, starts right up, big strong machine!!! 5500 hours??? also 12" bucket available, 1-508-473-5159
I would look at the Ironplanet auctions. Sometimes things go really cheap on there. There is an 02 590 M starting at 17k in this weeks auction. Might be able to get lucky and it will go cheap.
What about Komatsu? just found an incredibly cheap '01 140 series 2 4x4, full cab, ehoe, beautiful condition for $21,000. Can't bear to buy a Japanese backhoe, but at that price......
I bet Walmart is carrying backhoes before too long, they have good prices..
I have a 1988 580K and the only front bucket problem I have ever noticed was it will kick the bypass when I attempt to lift something way too heavy. I have loaded over 120 heaping loads of topsoil with it and it will lift a full bucket of dirt wet or dry. It is a great loader. It is also one of the toughest hoes I have run with almost no downtime in 5 years of intermittent use.
Maybe it's time to check out Ritchie Bros? I was at the Toronto auction yesterday and there was good solid iron going for pennies. They walked quite a few 580 Super L's across and not one got more than 25k. There we're some Deere 310G's coming right from Hertz not getting 25k. As sad and cruel as it is to say, you could head to the auction and get a half decent machine for next to nothing. As for the K's, the early K's we're a dog, but the Super K was a beast of a backhoe. Yes the tanks have some problems, and finding one not full of rust is a pain but they're a solid hoe. I found the loader power to be pretty good. I worked for a guy with a Super K and 3 Super L's, that K could outpush every one of the L's all day long.
Coming from guys who have owned nothing but case and have worked the crap outa them.......Majority say that the early K's were flat out Junk. The newer K's were decent. Lots of rust, tank, a frame problems. I run a 580M turbo series 2 on a gas main crew. Working for my dad I spent alot of time in our Super L series 2. Ive played around with 580B's and run a 580C, E or 2, couple K's, 580L/Super L's, 590Super L, 580M/Super M's. If you ask me the L's are the best backhoe Case has built so far and many guys I know and have worked with that have alot more experiance than me agree. I have farted around with older K's and have run a 580Super K enough to compare it. Its a none turbo version low houred. Compared to an L it had nothing. Only difference pushing was that it seemed to be more "steady." Less power meant less wheel slip/spin. L's would easily break free and spin the tires. Running it over the road, I think grass grew quicker, were the L was a rocket ship. I'd really look for a 580Super L series 2 if you wanna stick with a used Case. Only machine Id really stay away from is early K's. All cases are Reliable but the L particularly stands out to me.
Duke, I know you were kicking around the idea of getting a mini, didn't know you took the plunge and sold the 580M. How's the progress on this issue? You get the K? Also, what's the progress on the mini. Haven't see any posts regarding this at TBN or on this forum in the mini section.
Ideal Cheap Backhoe ! Duke, I have a 580 B that I am willing to part with for a fraction of what you want to pay with a rebuilt engine that has never seen either. I will throw in a 3 XL Parka and a 12 volt fan since its an open cab roll cage. I purchased a Bobcat 864 and I wont need the hoe after I dig my oil tank out in the spring.
I'm looking at all the equipment I can-trying to work the best deals I can. My goal is a 3.5 ton mini ex for ~25K and an older beast of a backhoe for ~25K. I will use the mini ex 90% of the time for digging, but would like the bigger backhoe for loading piles and digging out the odd big stump here & there. I found a CAT 303 mini ex-just trying to work the salesman over for a lower price. :bash