fond this old dozer on a place in the woods. have been heavy equipment mech for 40 years. I have never seen this v8 engine.it shows to be a 46a but the 4 is turned Sidways. the rounded hood was introduced in 1950. old records show the r was dropped in 1937 and the D8 debuts. The d342 was introduced in 1955
I’ve no idea,but there is a similar V8 over here in the UK that’s stuffed into a vintage D7
D17000 engine first built in 1935 end of build around 1955, they had a power rating from 160 bhp to 200 bhp with a 5 3/4" x 8" bore and stroke, so it makes you wonder why anyone would want to put this motor into a D8H that would have been most probably running a 270 bhp D342 and been a lot lighter on fuel, but as usual we only know half the story that being it's a D8H with a V 8 motor, not the reason behind it, the engine was a common fitment on big pumps and Crawler Cranes and had a good reputation for running big hours trouble free, the D342 engine was really built to only run in the D8 Tractor, it was used to power other things but made little headway and was best in the D8 that it was designed for, the D17000 was the first V8 engine built by CAT and was also common to see in Train applications.
The fellow that installed that engine was a drag racer, and wanted a D8 Dragster.
That wasnt the only one that ever had that done peterson cat build them i think i read about those somewhere ill try to find it
Not my clip but I was at this field day at Toowoomba,Qld nearly twenty years ago. 8R,I believe.
Of course, no hearing protection. lol
The D17000 conversions appeared to hot rod the earliest few series of D8 (2u) is the one I can recall. Gained 20-30hp so there was a good reason for it.
The 8R was pushing out 131 bhp at 950 rpm with the D13000 engine, swapping out to a D17000 must have been a stack of power better with up to 200 bhp at a top line of 1'000 rpm, but putting the D17000 motor in a D8H would just be interesting but a big step down on the Poke factor.
it is a first for me I had never seen this engine. the odd this is it has serial number 46a but the 4is sideways. the story is when it was parked 30 years ago it was running. still has cans on the exhaust.
everything looks factory. when you look at serial # the 4 is sideways on the 46a. the lady that has the place is cleaning up. I have to many projects. what would something like this be worth.
I don't know about anyone else but I can't see a thing on that that photo apart from a patch of rust.
Definitely tough to make out the full number; but I can see (I think!) a “4” stamp sideways…the “6A…” I’ll have to take the OP’s word for Certainly interesting piece of equipment
Maybe 4 on its side tip pointing right Then 6A3679 And H below the 4 46A3679 H
View attachment 345320
The Worth is going to be Scrap Price at the moment, or you might find someone wants to burst it down for the back end parts that will pay a bit more, but as a pulling Tractor it is not going to be a lot of good, the 46A is a powershift Tractor I can only wonder how the Torque and drive divider are hooked in, the Tractor is interesting but better with the correct D342 motor.
I wonder if the sideways "4" is just a mistake while doing the stamp? It also looks like the second "6" is a re-stamp over a different number. If the machine could only talk.....