Hi all, I have a real heavy duty straight flatbed trailer here I'm trying to identify. It has two rows of 8 wheels each in the back. Very large I Beam frame. I need to measure it, but the deck is no more than 30' long. The tires are 8.25/15s. I can't find an ID tag or a name stamped anywhere on it. It's way heavier duty than I need here on the farm and would like to sell it and get something lighter duty to be able to use. It's a very nice trailer but has been sitting a while. I'm sure it needs most of the tires replaced, the deck is wood and needs re-decking. I'm sure the lights need some love. The brake cans are unnordinary and I'm not familiar with the system. I will attach pictures of the trailer. The trailer needs work but is very solid. Any info on it or what the value might be would be very helpful. Thank you.
Being up there I’d guess Rogers or Talbert for brand. Most likely wedge brakes. Stout old trailer. I wish it was closer!!!
I have seen that type before and it was military, who made it I don't remember. Built to military spec any trailer manufacture can win the bid. As far as those brakes 12" on super short S-cam IIRC, I doubt parts can be found for it. Most of any of the old stuff is becoming so obsolete, no one wants to shelve parts anymore. Inboard brake drums can run any where from 175 to 450 bucks each and the field is getting real narrow on whats available. Truck Shop
I'm thinking "LaCross" brand. Seen a bunch of their ex-military tank movers but not with 16 wheels. I bet the tire guys will hate that trailer.
I had a Trailking that was 16 tire trunion. Thankfully new enough to be S-cam brakes and was even budd 22.5 rubber. 10’ wide so it wasn’t terrible to work on. Crane company had an old 12’ wide trunion. 15” tube type and wedge brakes
I'm with RZ on probably a LaCross. We had one back in the day. 8.25/15" Rubber and always a joy changing the inside tire. It had cam brakes Your picture shows one newer style replacement And one original piston type brake chamber can. That trailer appears to be in decent shape Tough Trailer Me around 58 or 59
I have a story about a local outfit that bought a massive lowboy with three 16 tire groups. it's pretty funny but I don't have time to type it up tonight. Needless to say it's an exercise in stupidity,
Only pic I can find of military is this model mock-up Truck Shop
Even though it's a scale model, that is most definetely a Lacrosse trailer. Took one just like that and cut the gooseneck down vertically to couple onto a 48" high fifth wheel vs. the tall military trucks. It had a 9' wide deck.
I had forgotten about that particular brand.
Ok, to the story I referenced above... This trailer setup was bought by a narcissistic farmer/land developer to haul a D9L and some other heavy stuff. He absolutely refused to believe a 16 wheel dolly was of no extra capacity in Wa. state. The trailer was built by Beall in Portland Oregon in 1967 according to the registration slips in the cans on the trailer. It had a 16 wheel jeep with double goosenecks on the deck and a double 16 wheel steerable dolly on the rear with a worn out Wisconsin V-4 to run the hydraulic system, one valve to steer the dolly, 2 valves for the front and rear deck lift. I got called in to change out all the rotted out roto-chamber brake cans and replace them with standard chambers and figure out how it all worked. Didn't really matter what I told them about how things worked, they just did it their way anyway (the hard way). The dolly steering had a float position on the valve so it would track with the main deck with the drawbar connected... Yeah they bent the drawbar and both steering rams... 3 times. It was hilarious watching them trying to remove the front neck to load, instead of setting the deck on the ground and pulling the jeep out 2 feet to let neck sag and kick the lock links out there would be 4-5 guys with big bars and sledge hammers trying to bust it out. Then there was the time that the truck driver outran the tillerman and ran the rear off a bank and twisted the rear neck something fierce. They don't call me anymore because I'm too honest about the root of their problems.
Sounds like that's a win for you if they don't call ! Bob
Give ya a wicked deal on it!
How wicked? Lol it’s a fair piece up there! Maine is the one state of the lower 48 I haven’t been to......
There was a very stout 16 tired two axle rear loading lowbed trailer sold at auction near here last fall. The deck was 26 ft, it had 4 main beams, very narrow shorter gooseneck, 825-15 tires all rotted, wheels were very good, wedge brakes on the outer 4 sets only, no title, deck had a couple broken plank but not bad shape over all. It sold for $525.00 dollars on the auction. I hauled a D4D over and helped the buyer drag it out of the weeds and loaded it onto a drop deck. I wish I had taken some pictures. I thought about buying on it but just don't need another major project.
I guess when you come up here with the D6 I'll climb aboard and we can just keep on going. On second thought after a road trip that long we would need another year to haul everything home that we drove past.
You’d need a new place to live if we did that!!
(Quote) You’d need a new place to live if we did that!! After guiding her in that mud and packing her elk out on the recent hunt I 'think' I can drive right in the driveway in broad daylight for a while.
Excellent point 3G!!
Message me with an offer if you are interested! Going to post it on the for sale section.
For $525 I would have gotten the torch out and hauled it to the scrap yard! Wow
Scrap was about $20 per ton at the time.