Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

identifying older diesel engine

dallou · 2014-06-18 01:20

hey i have this engine in a old flail type delimber that i want to take out and use in big self propelled mower but don't know what make or hp it might have any help would be great thnx

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2014-06-18 04:26

    International for sure from the logo, but what model I can't say.

  2. #2kshansen2014-06-18 05:21

    My uneducated guess is it's a D236.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2014-06-18 06:09

    If you go to the other side and get a pic of the fuel system.. it has a name plate on the inj. pump.. DONT SCRAPE IT.. Get some paint stripper from the parts store.. [spray can].. then I can tell you what you've got..

  4. #4lantraxco2014-06-18 16:05

    The logo threw me, it's a Perkins 4.236

  5. #5kshansen2014-06-18 20:25

    Now that I look at it thinking "Perkins" I recognize the exhaust manifold design! I actually rebuilt one of these about two years back that was in a genset. Don't have my notes here at home but did get most of the parts from Cat. Cat owns or did own Perkins and this was an engine that if I recall they used in small excavators or some other small machine. If I get a chance Thursday I'll see if I can find out more info. Did some more digging at home and found reference to using Cat S/N prefix of 6BD***** some parts are a little different, like exhaust manifold , where yours exits near the flywheel the Cat manifolds are either center of fan end outlet. Here's a link to a place we get odd-ball parts from, good people, also do machine shop work.: http://www.agkits.com/search.aspx?find=4-236

  6. #6dallou2014-06-18 23:50

    Thanx a lot guys that was really helpful hopfully it is a Perkins cause the unit I want to put it in had an option of the Perkins or waekushau so I hope it is. And thanx kshansen look for word to hearing more on thursday

  7. #7kshansen2014-06-20 16:56

    Did not get a chance to find anything more Thursday, was driving a Cat773G all day, normal operator was off to go to a motorcycle rally!

  8. #8old-iron-habit2014-06-21 00:39

    Perkins parts were used in a lot of Massey Ferguson tractors also. Still parts available.

  9. #9tctractors2014-06-21 01:53

    Try this Co' if you need any parts agrilineproducts.com all parts are easy found with a full engine re-build kit around the £300 area, this is a very well liked engine used throughout the World, as I have said every part blocks cranks etc can be bought at very low cost, dont try CAT for these items as this would be a waste of time. tctractors