Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IDIGBEST reviews?

Scott1996 · 2020-08-11 23:02

I have been looking into the system and it seems great I just can’t find any reviews. Anyone have any experience with it?

Replies53
  1. #1Tim Modine2020-11-14 18:09

    Can Phil from I dig Best give an up to date review. Id like to hear how it compares to the Trimble Earthworks 2d for an excavator which costs around $15k incl installation and 7" display as they quoted me Nov. 2020 No automatics though but can be added for around another $10k

  2. #2IDIGBEST2020-11-15 10:32

    The IDigBest system is far superior in many ways. The IDigBest system uses a nine axis gyro sensor control system. The system's accuracy is so fast the cab can be rocking back and forth and the bucket will still cut perfect 3D grade. The incredible benefit of the system is it is 3D without satellites. It automatically measures your rotation in space. The great advantage to the hydraulic assist is that it actually feels the operator's digging speed and can correct at any speed. You must use the lights located out by the bucket because sound cannot keep up because we calculate exact grade within one hundredth of a foot within one hundredth of a second. To compare to a CAT/Trimble system, the moment the chassis rocks in any direction they shut down due to slow sensors. New features coming to the system is our plug in GPS no base station needed. You will only have to hotspot off your phone. You will have 28 satellite accuracy within millimeters per inch. Our GPS system will list at approximately $10,000. There are several other updates I would like to share with you. Please text or call at 317-210-0220 for pricing quotes and any other questions you may have.

  3. #3Tim Modine2020-11-15 11:03

    My issue with I dig best is id have to install and thats not a liability id be willing to take on, and the other is logistical proximity from your home base to mine. Could you post any current videos of the system in action within the last year?

  4. #4IDIGBEST2020-11-15 22:53

    about installing. It's made simple for anyone to install we give unlimited help 7 day a week. There is no liability you can take it to any machine dealer of your choice. they will install for you. Or a local excavator repair facility. They just call us and we set them up and it's all done. Very basic install. System the fax machine warranty in no way. System fits all machines. haven't been posting a lot this year with COVID-19. Been working on new Gps add on. Here is one from Facebook for you. here is a link for video face book; https://fb.watch/1NHBp71gc-/

  5. #5IDIGBEST2020-11-15 23:05

    Also working on new Skidsteer and dozer Add one to IdigBest; Also you can follow us on Instagram. Facebook. There's some good information there. Or you can always call me anytime with any questions of help or what you don't like at 317-210-0220 Saturday we just received eight more kits we've been sold out for the last two weeks.

  6. #6fourwheel12021-03-28 12:49

    I installed an I dig best in January on a kobelco 140... Was a little difficult to install even with watching lots of videos. My son helped and did most of it,, he is cat tech

  7. #7steve waldner2021-03-28 23:02

    Have you had it out in the feild ? Running or using it ?

  8. #8fourwheel12021-03-31 16:05

    Yes have been using it and it's very accurate.... But..... That's where the good seems to end... Install is complicated, not sure I'd do another one. There is no install book or directions, just a lot of videos which leave a lot to figure out. Phil was very available during install but became difficult to get ahold of, he seems to run business himself. He wanted us to"learn" system before using auto. Didn't make sense since this is supposed to make things simple but ok. Had to dig by sound because LED lights on boom burned out first time we turned them on because system over powered them and had to set system to 50 percent power?? Still waiting on them. Had to replace one cable already that cost 170.00,,, was not pinched or scuffed but one strand inside shorte out.. Was trying to use yesterday without laser, that's another issue,,, and the main module flashed a code and quit... Was told it has a short. Something in system will not allow us to use laser and bench from it.. Talked to Phil and tried multiple things and he is stumped... I run full gps on my farm and love technology but this is way over complicated. Yes it can do a lot but could be much simpler. Demoed a wireless I dig system and was slow but very simple to operate, was very accurate, dug footers without grade man, no wires to go bad, could move to other machines, and cost half as much. Would return tomorrow if I could... I'm trying to let people know what I ran into. 3 months and all I have is nice looking, expensive monitor.

  9. #9Tags2021-03-31 21:03

    Sounds like "I dig just fine" without it and the headaches. To be fair though,you could have gotten one made on a Friday, but the last thing you want to hear as an end user from the manufacturer is "we are stumped", gee thanks, you're stumped and I'm a lot lighter in the pocket.

  10. #10fourwheel12021-05-09 16:22

    I did get system figured outa little more, had a bad monitor that was covered under warranty. Digging with the lights is much better than by sound only...my lights were not working at first and they are easy to see even in bright sunlight. Yes its super fast and accurate when i check it with the tip of the bucket teeth. For some reason i have trouble with auto steer either coming up towards end of stroke or with getting deep if i only have an inch to shave off. I've tried different attack angles and speeds but struggle with accuracy on auto. Does save me having a stick man tho and have dug over a dozen basements without stick man at all. Great tool for the toolbox, just need to keep an eye on the grade.

  11. #11IDIGBEST2021-08-31 10:30
  12. #12IDIGBEST2021-08-31 10:31
  13. #13IDIGBEST2021-08-31 10:32
  14. #14HighFlyerAK2022-02-01 14:34

    Hi all! According to Phil (owner of iDigBest), there are 1,100 systems of his iDigBest out there. Anyone of those 1,100 willing to share their thoughts, field experiences, and perhaps with tilt-rotor attachments? I would greatly appreciate it. I like the display of it better than that of the iDig (European counter part). And the performance promises are all over - especially with the 3D hydraulic assist function claims. But is it really the David of Machine Control Systems? I am thinking of adding it to my new Wacker ET90, if that matters. And I would have it installed by the dealer direct, due to warranty considerations. Thanks in advance, Andreas

  15. #15NepeanGC2022-02-01 21:11

    I have an idigbest system installed on my bobcat e42. It has a Steelwrist tiltrotator, and I had the idb system prior to the Steelwrist. Unfortunately the 2 don't work together since the Steelwrist has no rotation sensor, and thus no way to feed rotational data to the idigbest system. This is more of a Steelwrist problem than a idb problem though. When I had normal bucket and thumb setup, the system worked very well, without any major issues once set up. The screen and user interface leaves a bit to be desired. Screen is very retro feeling, and bulky for what it is. It's a rather generic ruggedized off the shelf unit. Install support and training also leave a bit to be desired. Training was non existant, and I felt rather left out in the cold. I purchased my system back in 2019. More recently on my e85, I chose a Trimble earthworks system. Screen and user interface is much nicer in my opinion. I haven't needed any support as of yet, but I feel there are significantly more options for Trimble support than IDB, and training and videos are plentiful online. I have no topcon dealer locally, otherwise I would have also considered them.

  16. #16HighFlyerAK2022-02-01 21:20

    NepeanGC, That is some VERY helpful info you are providing. And dare I say, it seems to fit in very much to what I have read so far. It‘s a shame actually, but also an open market and in the end, it seems as there are too many questions unanswered. What I can tell with a fairly high level of confidence, install seems to lack severely. And I have seen a video, where either Phil himself or someone is showing off all the parts laid out on a table. They make sense, but going into a brand new machine and taking off hydraulic hoses and adding fittings - Not necessarily what I would like to take chances on. No training is big as well. Just going out and start pushing buttons while the machine is running endlessly - Nope. It‘s really a bummer you have the steelwrist and can‘t really take advantage of it to it‘s fullest. Not too stoked about the ‚retro‘ screen looks/design either. Especially since that will be my interface for a long time to deal with. That reminds me to check with the Rototilt sales man on whether the R3 does have rotation/tilt sensors. But it should have them I really appreciate your input! I will make sure I will share my decision and experience with my new setup, once I have made up my mind. Cheers

  17. #17NepeanGC2022-02-02 10:21

    My 2 cents having had automatics on my e42, I actually chose to go for an indicate only system with Trimble. For what I do, which is dig trenches for pipe, basements, and slabs, although automatics are certainly nice, they weren't worth the added cost to me. The big thing I needed to speed up operations was to eliminate the guy holding the grade rod, not help me run the shovel. Automatics buy skill, and if you have super tight tolerances, they do have value. But for basements and slabs, the concrete guys that follow me are over the moon if I'm +/- 1/2"-3/4". With many of these systems they can be configured to emit a tone, just like a laser receiver. Eventually you learn to just grade by ear.

  18. #18KSSS2022-02-02 14:01

    Trimble and Leica both offer the position sensor that is attached to the Steelwrist or Rototilt attachment. I don't think you would ever see that come on the attachment itself since there are several possible options on what brand the customer chose for a guidance solution and some may not want that option at all.

  19. #19NepeanGC2022-02-02 16:53

    For Trimble and IDB, they both need to read the rotation from the tiltrotator directly. Trimble/IDB position sensors pick up the tilt axis, but not rotate. As far as I know, my problem is truly a Steelwrist only problem as I understand both Rototilt and Engcon tiltrotators have a rotation sensor in their smaller units. What should also be noted, is this isn't a problem on Steelwrists larger units. My Steelwrist X12 has a rotation sensor, my little X06 does not, and has no way to retrofit per my discussions with Steelwrist. Practically, grade control isn't really used all that much on smaller excavators anyways, so there's no real market incentive to fix that I imagine. I have no experience with Leica, but I don't see how they could pick up rotate either.

  20. #20KSSS2022-02-02 17:15

    You are likely correct. I was referencing the tilt axis and not the rotational axis. My mistake.

  21. #21KSSS2022-02-02 17:33

    Well I looked it up, I thought I had read that Leica had this capability and it turns out that they do. Integrated tilt rotator support iCON iXE2 provides integrated tilt rotator support, giving the operator clear guidance information about the actual tilt and rotation position relative to his project. iCON iXE2 with tilt rotator support increases your productivity and lets you maximise the use and benefits of your machine control solution.

  22. #22HighFlyerAK2022-02-02 23:03

    Thank you gent‘s for the most interesting inputs!! More than one sharing their researching knowledge is what makes this forum so valuable. I just got off the phone with a local dealer for TRIMBLE. Which taught me a few more interesting bits of information not easily being deciphered on company websites. The sensors on the boom/stick/bucket can work without the laser, and the laser is mostly being used to recalibrate after moving the machine via tracks. As long as one doesn‘t move reposition the excavator, the laser is not needed. The laser receivers will see the laser when it is to the left and to the front only (given they are mounted on the left side) If I were to remove the tilt-rotator for some pure excavation work were the tilt-rotor is not needed or desired, I would need to change the stick dimensions in the control software, which won‘t take more than a few seconds. Aside of the rotation sensor provided by ROTOTILT, a additional position sensor is being added by TRIMBLE. With the 2D system, one can go and dig right away, with or without laser support. It does instantly show you grade/level once a base line is established with the laser (or even without it) With the 3D system, a creation of a site plan is required. (I am not sure right now if that is entirely correct) The system can prevent over-digging as long as it is set to hydraulic assist, AND the operator is pressing a switch while moving the boom/stick/bucket. It will either raise or lower the boom to achieve the set grade. The operator still has to operate the controls to dig (obviously), the system will support the boom, not the stick/bucket. But I was also told that ideally one would excavate close to the desired level before pressing the button for the assist function. The costs for the 3D system are astronomically high, beyond 50k…! Initially, the dealer didn‘t think that TRIMBLE so far has been installed on a Wacker ET90 with a tilt-rotator. So… this might be a deal breaker early in the decision process. I like the works of it and I am curious to find out what LEICA has to offer or differ. ANY inputs absolutely and greatly appreciated! And, I will also look into TOPCON, just to cover all bases. Finally, iDigBest is out of the race early. Largely because of lack of clear and concise communication, lack of dealer support, and an uncertainty, or a gut-feeling that it might not be what I want to get involved with. Sorry Phil! Any inputs - GO FOR IT, please!

  23. #23KSSS2022-02-03 00:50

    i would be assured that in Europe someone has put a Trimble on a WN machine, but I doubt it matters. Trimble was worried, as I was, that my Takeuchi 257 with the side to side boom might be an issue. Turns out it is no issue at all. Works through out the range of motion when moving side to side. When you put the Trimble or Leica system on, and whether you put it on a WN ET 90 or a CAT 308. A swing booom is a swing boom, the system is not going to care.

  24. #24HighFlyerAK2022-02-03 01:53

    I had the same thoughts and was thinking about getting in touch with Wacker direct in Austria to see whether they have done so, which they must have. I agree. I just spent a few hours on the Leica system and, I kind a don‘t like it. Too many buttons, small screen, very task intense to use all the buttons and small, very „simple“ line graphics. Not sure about it (so far) I do, however, have decided to consider the iDig-System as a cost-appealing alternative. Easy of install (no wires to boom) and portability to move to other machines, i.e. my skidsteer or my dozer. And then of course the price would be a big plus on being a lot less (I am guessing, haven‘t gotten prices so far) TOPCON.. not sure yet. Kind a the same thoughts about the interface, but I might have only seen units from a few years ago. Seems as all big players have been constantly changing designs and features in the past years quite a bit.

  25. #25KSSS2022-02-03 13:05

    Leica has two different options on displays. The regular display is functional I think, but the better display is the one used for 3D which also works for 2D. It costs more, but is a much better display, it is bigger and easier to navigate. Had I gone with Leica, I had the better display bid in. The display on the Trimble seems decent. It all of course is subjective, my investigation in all of this told me, is it comes down to what you get comfortable with using. Wireless would be nice, Trimble tried it, and changed back to wired. It would be nice to not have all the wiring, if the system can be relied upon. Certainly is a lot to consider.

  26. #26HighFlyerAK2022-02-03 23:58

    I absolutely concur and have come the same conclusion, as far as the display goes. MC1 would be the way to go, with the 2D system, and the option to upgrade without changes to the 3D (if ever). I also very much like the switching between machines, especially since I have the dozer and skid steer. Would be great. I am trying to find the disadvantages though. iDig has pretty quick confirmed full support for my Rototilt, which is very important. Wireless and switch between machines is definitely a plus as well. Being European myself, I am not too afraid of choosing a system from overseas, as long as support us somewhat present, which, it is as far as I checked. LEICA it seems, is a big, if not the biggest player. I dislike the tight partnership of TRIMBLE and CAT, makes me feel I am not really, fully considered worthy..? At this very moment, while still waiting for LEICA to get back to me, and only having received a flyer from iDig, I am leaning strongly to either one of the two, maybe 65% LEICA, 35% iDig - not knowing a price for LEICA of course. Right around USD$12,000 for the iDig is what I have found out so far. Really curious about LEICA pricing, and the quote from a local dealer, install included, for TRIMBLE is still being worked on. What price were you told for the LEICA system when you researched it? I remember you were given higher numbers at first, and then they came down..

  27. #27KSSS2022-02-04 12:03

    The Leica system at the end of the day was around 15K. Yes Cat works with Trimble as do others, CASE uses Leica (I would guess due to CNH's European connection). I am curious how IDIG allows you to completely switch from excavator to dozer? Do you pull all the sensors off one to put on the other? Leica and Trimble allow you to pull the monitor between the two but not the entire system. I am curious how practical it is to have to reset all the sensors and getting it right every time you change machines.

  28. #28HighFlyerAK2022-02-04 21:45

    Well! It seems that something is a bit off here. I just received my first line-by-line quote from a local dealer, parts and install. It is $36,933.51USD! Woah! There is no way I can consider anything else but iDig-System, which is for sale between 10 and 12k, easy to slap it on myself. I missed the LEICA sales guy for the PNW today, hopefully I get a chance to talk with him tomorrow. My machine sits at the dealer in Spirit Lake, ID, at MachinerNW. They have been great. If LEICA is over the moon as well, I will have a very easy decision on my hands.

  29. #29KSSS2022-02-05 12:34

    That is for Trimble? Regardless, that is insane.

  30. #30HighFlyerAK2022-02-05 15:23

    Yes, and Yes! But I will attempt to get a quote from someone in ID, where the machine will be for the next two months, and see if that is any different. Must be!

  31. #31KSSS2022-02-05 15:49

    Yes, contact Scitech in Meridian, Idaho. Ask to speak to Mitch, tell him you and I spoke, perhaps that will help, if he hangs up right away then that was a bad idea.

  32. #32HighFlyerAK2022-02-05 16:15

    Thank you! I will do that, and not ask questions if it doesn‘t work out. I found SITECH, a CAT dealer, which is what I would assume you are referring to. I actually don‘t know your (first) name, or any other reference for him to ‚remember‘ you?

  33. #33NepeanGC2022-02-05 16:20

    That is insane - indicate only 2D trimble in Canada is approx $25k canuck bucks installed. Or about $3 Freedom dollars

  34. #34KSSS2022-02-05 16:42

    My first name is Shane from Idaho Falls.

  35. #35HighFlyerAK2022-02-06 10:06

    Great, Thank you Shane! Have a great Sunday, Andreas from Talkeetna

  36. #36HighFlyerAK2022-02-06 16:47

    Well - In the meantime, some not so good news. I just received an email from Fred, who is the sales rep for iDig in North America. Very unfortunate for me. This will reduce my options from whom I can choose. This is what Fred wrote to me! Hi Andreas, The iDig 3D system is currently being introduced in Europe only. I want them to have at least six months of sales history in Europe before I bring it to North America. The current iDig system will continue to be available for many years to come. It is not upgradeable to the new 3D system. The new platform for iDig 2D/3D will be Bluetooth whereas the current system is RF, so they will not be compatible. The current iDig cannot compensate for a swing boom, only the rotation of the chassis itself. That being said, it is still the most cost effective 2D system on the market today. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Cheers, Fred I have to say, I was really excited about the 3D option for iDig, which included on satellite receiver mounted on the machine body itself. But, perhaps I should get in touch with the peeps in Europe and see what they have to say…?

  37. #37KSSS2022-02-06 18:16

    Well that would change things up. Both Leica with the upgraded console and Trimble are both ready to accept 3D if you wanted to upgrade in the future. I have never looked into Idig, but if they can't currently handle a swing boom, then that would likely explain the lower cost. I am not sure how they can offer much without the capability to handle a swing boom. Buying from them now would mean having to rebuy the system in the future, assuming that the 3D actually makes it to NA.

  38. #38HighFlyerAK2022-02-06 22:20

    Agreed for sure. I reached out to Fred again and asked him about the possibility to get my hands on the 3D system with side swing boom support. Aside of not having support in North Amerika, he is going to get in touch with the European folks and see what they say. Not having side swing support puts a huge damper, if not roadblock on iDig. Still waiting for LEICA to get back to me about details, hopefully with better news The sales woman told me that she can certainly look the quote over and see whether all of the items listed are necessary to use it laser/2D. She did also write that she did expect a price closer to 15k. I shall see I suppose, what she can shave off the 37k.

  39. #39KSSS2022-02-06 22:37

    Yea the number should be around 15. I think someone "carried the one" one too many times in that 37K quote.

  40. #40catalystgilles2022-02-07 00:42

    When I talked with Sitech about a 2d system for our Kubota it was close to 15k. Up to 20 depending on options. 37k sounds like a base level 3d system.

  41. #41HighFlyerAK2022-02-07 12:00

    I should hear from her today, as she promised to go through item per item and the need for it. Being ready to go 3D was part of it, but I was also told that that price won‘t change too much initially. And I just got an email from the german sales rep in regards to the 3D iDig-System. I will be curious how it will price out and to what level it can support side-swing and tilt-rotator! Still no response from LEICA, so far..

  42. #42KSSS2022-02-07 12:43

    I PMed you the contact info for the regional Leica guy.

  43. #43steve waldner2022-02-20 00:49

    Then the Idigbest is the system for u , very accurate fast , and for a little $ u add hyd assist , and it helps dig on grade a lot faster .

  44. #44fourwheel12022-02-23 21:59

    Do not bother with auto on I dig best,, it is far from auto... Auto on a dozer means blade stays on grade even in mid air,. This system does not work like that, operator still has to control boom weight which controls the grade. It will go below grade if not careful. It is very accurate and fast. Wires running to sensors are very thin and will break, do yourself a favor and build or source a better wire.

  45. #45IDIGBEST2023-02-07 09:04
  46. #46IDIGBEST2023-02-07 09:21

    The Trimble system is well over priced in for Gps Guy's small businesses overrated. Trimble likes to buy systems for people or give them deals. I can't refuse so they write good reviews. Ask some of the guys writing on here if that's not true. I'm going to have some customers that don't get it and that's OK but I can guarantee you one thing about the system. If you have a problem you can call me if I don't answer call me again, I container system better than anybody on earth. Some of the guys riding on here has 6 inches of slop in their bucket pan and they're still getting grade wondering why it gets off a little bit. I guarantee you that any of you have a problem fly me out to your machine And we'll do a video together with you bragging about it. But somehow there aren't real machine operators either. Through Covid in times people can save money doing their own installs. I suggest flying me out to your install. You have to want the system to work for you to get the best out of it . This is like a good race car they can win all the races but you gotta keep up with it and I'll help is free forever.

  47. #47IDIGBEST2023-02-07 09:25

    Idigbest system works well till rotators. You'll learn that you don't need a rotation sensor. You don't dig sideways if you do and you need to know an exact grade just rotate your bucket back square and touch left side center or right side to see your exact grade. I think Vasco dig forward and reverse, and any tilt angle on the tilt rotator. In a can do better than the competition if anybody would like to compare, let me know. Trimble Leica, Topcon I'll have more latency or delay. Therefore, their accuracy is that like Idigbest, Idigbest is like a CNC every millimeter you know exact grade instantly. It allows the human to work and change on the floor. Without pushing the buttons you got it won't work guys no matter what system it is turn your race car that's how champions work.

  48. #48IDIGBEST2023-02-07 09:40

    You need to read a little farther in his remarks you'll see that after I went and helped him is able to dig correctly now. He's talking about it drifting up and you have to check your grade. He's not telling you that his Kobelco bucket has approximately 6 inches of sway forward and back. The bucket pins have never been greased, but the Dig System still can get a perfect grade if he pays attention to it. There's no other Dig System that can possibly do auto calibration like we do to correct that loose pin and the bushing problem. We gotta have haters out there guys. I always suggest go run an I dig system or something before you fly out to us. Would you run our system? You will be purchasing it before you leave. It always happens but not everybody likes the best and/or will find any excuse not to pay the difference 3172100220

  49. #49fourwheel12023-02-07 16:06

    Ok I'll chime in again here.. Our kobelco had 3/4" slop on 4' bucket at the teeth..I measured this because it was always thrown out as the reason it would rise or not stay on grade. Machine is greased every fuel up and twice on hot days. Pins and bushings have been completely redone on stick last year. The auto simply isn't auto. Don't waste the money on auto. I'm definitely not a hater, I would like my investment to work as good as possible and do what's supposed to. It will dig very accurate but takes a careful operator paying attention. I welcome anyone in Ohio to come run it and see it in action.

  50. #50IDIGBEST2023-02-08 10:07

    I bet you're not doing it correctly. Tell me how are you engaged and what u do with a different controls. I 90% of the time when people have problems with holding cracked fast grade they are not properly working with the system controlling it with their joysticks correctly. Also, like a sharp knife the dollar teeth are the more your actions she can throw off I'll bet if you took the time to give me a phone call would be writing great post. I have seven day a week help if you don't give me a call again. You've never ever asked to help with any of your problems.

  51. #51Brandon woodward2023-03-14 13:00

    I have an idig and am selling it to go to a 2d system that is a little easier to operate and has some better support. I had mixed results but overall it was more good than bad with the system. I put in septic systems and some field drainage but also do demo with the same machine so switching to a wireless sensor system.

  52. #52fourwheel12023-03-14 17:22

    What part of system are u looking for easier to operate??

  53. #53Motor Grader2023-09-17 00:11