Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Idler bearing removal

jwest75801 ยท 2012-09-12 20:58

Alright guys I have a question I am needing to replace my idler bearings. Mine are worn out wish I had pictures to show you. Well the problem is this is my first time to do do this and I need to know what has to be done to remove and install the new bearings to the idler. I have new seals as well does this have to pressed in or is there another way. The bearing itself is not wore out but the area that rides on the rail has wore so thin it has started chipping off. I know somebody here can shed some light on this. By the way this is a D3CLGP if there is any additional info let me know thanks for your time.

Replies13
  1. #1shopguy2012-09-12 21:13

    Maybe i am not thinking wright but why do you want to do thatif the shells are what is worn out? Sounds like idlers (with brackets) is the better way to go, just a thought. Good Luck

  2. #2jwest758012012-09-12 21:26

    Well I have already got the new "shells" the idler it's self is still in good shape. Educate me please.

  3. #3willie592012-09-12 21:29

    I agree shopguy, replacement idlers for a D3, whether Cat or aftermarket, surely isn't terribly expensive. And for the trouble a person would go through to replace bushings and seals in an idler, even if they could accomplish that mission, if surface is worn slap out where track rails meet the idler, how are we better off? :beatsme

  4. #4willie592012-09-12 21:34

    Hmm, you seem to have posted while I was yet typing jwest. I can't speak for a D3 idler, but typically, there's a pin that retains the shaft in the brackets, first that pin has to be removed, which can be a challenge, then the shaft has to be pressed out of the brackets, after years in dirt and moisture, they're typically stuck fast. It's the kind of project I wouldn't even fool with given the degree of difficulty without proper press equipment, I just replace the whole idler with brackets.

  5. #5jwest758012012-09-12 21:35

    Does the pin have to be pressed out what are the troubles with this?

  6. #6willie592012-09-12 21:41

    Like I said, I don't know about a D3 idler, only saying how idlers are typically set up. I can't offer any advice on your particular project as I've never done a D3.

  7. #7willie592012-09-12 21:45

    Try giving Quicktrax in Texas a call, can't remember the fellas name to save my life, but he might be able to give you some info. http://www.bulldozertracks.com/

  8. #8jwest758012012-09-12 21:45

    Well the problem is I have already bought the new bearings and we have already removed the retainage pin it's the shaft we are having problems with. We have not tried a press yet but we will probly take it to a Machine shopto do this.

  9. #9jwest758012012-09-12 21:56

    Thanks for the help that y'all have given me so far I am sure there is somebody that has done this before

  10. #10alrman2012-09-13 08:11

    Trouble is jwest, most of those who have done it before - choose not to do it again ...... :spaz

  11. #11jwest758012012-09-13 08:32

    I am starting to pick that up. Well I may see if I can go ahead and pick one up that's already assembled and have this one rebuilt for the other side.

  12. #12shopguy2012-09-13 20:32

    So you have new shells , bushings and seals and you need to get the shaft out of the brackets to reuse the shaft and brackets?I have used wood spliting wedges, wd40 & lots of heat you have to pull the bracket off the shaft , the shaft cant be pressed through the shell with the retainers bolted on. Hope this helps

  13. #13jwest758012012-09-14 07:23

    It does thanks I went ahead and ordered a hole group and am going to pick it up this evening and I am going to drop off my old one and have a press shop rebuild it for me. Thanks for all the insight everybody was a great help.