Yesterday I watched a guy unhook airlines and electric , pop the 5th wheel and start to pull the tractor away from an end dump trailer. I was yelling louder and louder as the hyd. line got tighter and tighter, but he stopped in time. So I was just pondering, "what would let go first"? and I thought, dang I bet someone on HEF has a story about that, or at least a theory. My guess is that it would leave a hell of a dent in the cab if the trailer side broke.
well I watched a guy turn a wet line too short and it snapped a fitting where the riser comes up from the frame area. I'm kinda suprised they don't use break a way couplers like farm tractors where if you pull too hard they pop loose.
Stretched a line eh? I'm thinking falling hoist at this point.
I've seen a few fittings break on the trailer, but never seen the quick connect or the hose give up; though most of what I've seen was as a result of an angled pull. Next time I see my truck 10, I'll try to remember to get you a pic of the cab dent it makes.
And would probably scare the bejesus out of the driver.
As a kid I remember hoses and brass fittings fly threw the air like lightin bugs ...Not good ..Truck Drivers ..more like steering wheel holders .....
Our grapples have four lines, two for the revolve and two for the open and shut. The grapples weigh 2500 lbs. My boss called me one day and said "My bucket fell off". Thinking he was kidding I asked if anyone was killed. "No" he says, "It was hanging by the hoses". True story. 1/2" 2wire- Parker of course.
Im thinking the end or ferrule would pull off first!
i would say the hose would fail right at the crimp on a strait pull and possibly the fitting on an angled one
I've noticed a time or two when pulling components and someone forgot to unhook a hydraulic line that the hose pulls apart from the fitting where it's crimped. Especially when the crane operator is in a hurry to get done and not taking it easy.
I can speak from personal experience that if you drive off from a coal bucket without disconnecting the wet line the fitting on the trailer will fail causing the hose to slingshot and shatter the back cab glass on your Mack R600.
I never {YET}have done that.But I did unhook my Hyd.line from the RGN with pump in gear and it split the pump in half.Reason the installer didn't think it needed a bypass valve .Of course I told him I was letting the trailer down when this happened.He had to install a new pump under warranty.
I didn't even think about the hose being compromised now, I'll check that out