Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IFTA

Mike L · 2022-09-20 11:50

With my cross country move coming up I am wondering about my service truck and license. I currently hold a class A cdl but I have an intrastate exemption because I don’t leave the state. Also I don’t have an IFTA sticker on my truck. I read somewhere that I was exempt and looking back at pictures none of my dealer trucks ever had an IFTA sticker. Obviously I don’t want any trouble during the trip. I don’t know if I need to switch my license to interstate and get a sticker just for the ride. I won’t be working in any other states, just traveling through to my destination in Texas. Any words of wisdom?

Replies45
  1. #14x4ford2022-09-20 12:49

    If over 26000 gvw I would definitely switch your license most states you can get a fuel tax permit to avoid the IFTA issues especially if you only need it once

  2. #2Vetech632022-09-20 13:14

    Anytime i go out of state I find out where all the weigh stations are and plan my route around them. LOL

  3. #3cfherrman2022-09-20 14:10

    I'd call your local DMV or possibly the DMVs in the states your traveling in, or even the highway patrols, they are very helpful. You will have to change your license to interstate and you will have to have a current medical card, you can call up the states and get a fuel use permit for each state. When you change your residency to Texas switch back to interstate.

  4. #4crane operator2022-09-20 14:44

    A piece of paper in the back window of the truck with "in transit" on it. Buy the fuel permits for each state. You don't want to swap to interstate and then back to intrastate. That's a bunch of paperwork for one trip. We just got done with a IFTA audit. I'm only 10 miles from arkansas/ missouri border, and do work in both states, or I'd love to get by with just one state.

  5. #5Mike L2022-09-20 15:34

    How do you go about getting fuel permits from each state?

  6. #6Mike L2022-09-20 15:35

    There’s a bunch of states between maine and Texas. It’s already gonna be a long ride at 70 mph max.

  7. #7ahart2022-09-20 15:50

    Mike- You should be able to plan you’re route and go online to each state’s department of revenue website and order a temporary fuel permit, I think they’re fairly inexpensive and a printout would have you legal while traveling through. Indiana has several different temporary fuel permits available for purchase depending on what it’s intended to be used for.

  8. #8mowingman2022-09-20 15:50

    If you buy a little fuel in each state, you will not need fuel permits. Just show the weight man a receipt from his state. Of course, that can result in a lot of stops.

  9. #9Truck Shop2022-09-20 15:51

    Fuel at any place other than a truck stop. No one is going to be looking. Plus some of those states are small, you may never buy fuel there. The FBI ain't going to be looking for Mike L.

  10. #10Truck Shop2022-09-20 17:05

    And to add to C.O.'s {In transit} sign. {Just Married-Moving to Texas}. The scale masters will stop put their cap over their heart and moment of silence, then mutter these words. {That poor boy--I don't have the heart, hit the green light}.

  11. #11Mike L2022-09-20 17:41

    Hahahaha.that might be the best solution yet!

  12. #12mowingman2022-09-20 18:31

    I just can not understand why you are going back to Texas. Seems like you are moving in the wrong direction. I lived in Texas for 44 years, but was originally from SE Ohio. Could not wait for retirement, so we could move out of that HOT place. Yes, it is a good place to make a living, but the fast pace of life is not good for those who want to retire and slow down. We have also found that it is much cheaper to live in Ohio, than in Texas. I know that sounds silly, but everything is cheaper up here, except gas and diesel. Never the less, good luck with your move. Jeff

  13. #13Tyler d4c2022-09-20 18:38

    If a buddy of mine can drive a truck from Nebraska to PA with a card board on it saying farm truck you can too

  14. #14Junkyard2022-09-20 19:07

    If I can go oversize from West Palm Beach, FL to the Javits Center in NY without a single permit I betcha your trip will go fine lol. Take the scenic route and enjoy the trip.

  15. #15CM19952022-09-20 19:07

    The rules have probably changed since 2007 when I got my fresh class A then took off to Ohio to pick up a new roll-off truck. We picked the truck up then off to AL. Went through a few weigh stations on the way back home with green lights and had no issues. Now that experience is worth everything you paid for it..

  16. #16Mike L2022-09-20 19:23

    When I bought the truck in Virginia we rolled past two weight stations that night on I-81 and I never pulled in. The line was long and I figured they had plenty to do without me. At that point I had temporary plates and my license said intrastate but I had a medical card thanks to the doctor my wife works with. I don’t foresee any problems but I want to be prepared for what could happen.

  17. #17Vetech632022-09-20 19:30

    "Smokey and the Bandit" the trip with the wife. You only live once!

  18. #18Mike L2022-09-20 19:41

    She’s a terrible outlaw. Trust me. We did something that was in the gray area of the law and she almost cracked without even being caught and felt guilty for weeks. Mike L in his 20s could’ve written a book on the stupid illegal things I did.

  19. #19Tyler d4c2022-09-20 20:20

    Sounds like a test for the current gf I need to try

  20. #20hvy 1ton2022-09-20 21:04

    You can buy them in at the port of entry scale houses. Honestly, I would take the scenic route and/or hang a paper in transit sign and not worry about it. It took us 30-45 minutes for each state's custom harvester fuel permit and you're looking 10-11 permits if you get every one. The paperwork for IFTA is not worth it for one trip.

  21. #21T320FL2022-09-20 22:02

    Considering the distance and number of states, have you thought about hiring an 18 wheeler with flatbed to haul it for you?

  22. #22Mike L2022-09-21 04:55

    We considered that option but I’ve also got to pay a guy to haul all our household stuff and the overflow of business stuff. One truck was expensive enough, two would be way worse.

  23. #23cfherrman2022-09-21 10:16

    Last year a Nebraska farmer told me the time he went to Illinois (I think) and got pulled over for a "loose" chain binder. His farm use only truck didn't hold in that state and the fines were deep. Make sure you talk to someone who really knows before leaving.

  24. #24mowingman2022-09-21 11:35

    Have you got a quote to have the truck hauled? I am going to guess $3,000. Wonder how close that is?

  25. #25T320FL2022-09-21 11:52

    Having your work truck moved on a semi could be written off as a business expense.

  26. #26Mike L2022-09-21 17:41

    When I lost the transmission in Harrisburg PA it cost me $2500 to get it trucked home. That was 1200 miles round trip and we had to put it on a low bed. Now we’re going 2000 miles one way and I’m guessing it’s hard to find a back haul with a low bed.

  27. #27Mike L2022-09-22 12:22

    Got rained out so I’m home this afternoon trying to get answers to this question. So far the number one answer has been- I don’t know, try calling……. And then I call the next one and do it all over again.

  28. #28crane operator2022-09-22 18:31
  29. #29Mike L2022-09-22 18:38

    That’s what I’m thinking. I’ve made it 41 years taking chances and i think I’m going to try it again.

  30. #304x4ford2022-09-22 22:14

    Pull your dot numbers and put not for hire private use till you get moved

  31. #31Vetech632022-09-23 08:11

    Jail isn't that bad. ..........so I've heard. 

  32. #32CM19952022-09-23 08:47

    Do you have a boat? Like 4x4 said remove the DOT #'s put a boat behind and that there is an RV Clark.

  33. #33Mike L2022-09-23 16:07

    Unfortunately I sold the boat. Wouldn’t that create the need for additional registration to haul a trailer?

  34. #34DMiller2022-09-23 17:59

    Will be witnessing this first hand once the Big Blue Beast is road ready and licensed. Already speaking to Graphics providers here for Lettering and numbers for the monster, Key Word Tricky Phrase on the side will be PRIVATE CONVEYANCE, NOT FOR HIRE. I suspect and expect a LOT of question sessions where have written down WHOM I have Spoken With, what they Informed me as to rules, keeping that in the license/insurance file holder in the door.

  35. #35CM19952022-09-25 19:25

    It's probably been discussed but do you own the truck personally as in your personal name or is it owned by your business?

  36. #36Mike L2022-09-25 19:49

    It’s in my personal name. My business is a dba.

  37. #37Truck Shop2022-09-25 20:07

    If your pulling a RV and marked personal conveyance, DOT won't even look at you. I know this guy and his rig below. He's traveled everywhere to truck shows and just plain traveling. Has never had a problem in any state. There are lots of class eights pulling RV's these days DOT has better things to do than hassle a retired couple.

  38. #38Tyler d4c2022-09-25 21:30

    Would this hold true if with my rv I was taking my for fun d9 to my for fun of course stone quarry

  39. #39Truck Shop2022-09-25 21:33

    Simply put--no.

  40. #40cfherrman2022-09-25 22:22

    I've seen more expensive toys.....I think

  41. #41Tyler d4c2022-09-25 23:14

    Well then I'll just have to prove that many moneys where lost and not made it works for farmers should work for other hobbies as well

  42. #42Truck Shop2022-09-26 07:38

    Probably so but not quite like this one, it's all custom built 1965 and custom built stretch hood. Without a doubt the nicest Pete on the planet. He lives in Othello Wa. All the best custom stretch hoods come from eastern Washington State.

  43. #43cfherrman2022-09-26 09:25

    Yeah that thing is awesome, but I was talking about the d9

  44. #44Tyler d4c2022-09-26 10:30

    Everyone should have one

  45. #45Truck Shop2022-09-27 00:35

    Might get a little crowded at rush hour.