Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IH/Dresser TD7-8 winch pto shaft length

Jwinter ยท 2017-06-17 19:36

I'm in the logging business and I currently use a 6 wheel forwarder to extract logs from the woods. I'm gonna need a dozer with a winch to get the trees I can't get with the forwarder. I used to have a JD450C with winch/arch and it was nice to push trucks out, push/pull trees over etc. I'm looking to buy a IH/Dresser TD7-8. Dozers outfitted with winches can be hard to come by, so I'm going to find a Gearmatic for the IH. My question is, what machines had the longer or shorter pto shaft? Is there a year or serial # where it changes? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1NWOutlawMX2017-07-06 16:34

    I'm not real knowledgeable about them except for my mine. It's a '86 TD8E and has the short shaft. The parts catalog that I bought for it says serial numbers 009501 and up, that might be where it changes, mine is 010***. Mine also has a winch if you need any #'s from it.

  2. #2Jwinter2017-07-08 13:36

    Thanks a lot, that makes sense. I think they changed to the "small" trans at 9500. Your post was a big help.

  3. #3Willie B2017-07-12 17:07

    Talk to Reggie Luzier at Winmill Equipment in Rutland VT 802-775-6568. He knows more about these machines than I can believe. I haven't found a package I could afford. One I did find was in fair condition, but not working. Pieces were missing. The seller claimed to have refused an offer of $3500. I responded that seemed steep for a broken winch. I have considered a Warn 24000 LB electric unit. I've been cautioned this won't hold up to skidding duty. I'm thinking one log per pull, I can chain to an arch once the log is lifted. Willie