Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IH F230D

Tones ยท 2019-06-26 06:50

Have any of you blokes come across these back in the day https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/tr...tm?rsqid=8bf38791f8b64098b30d0ce01e3df74b-001 It is rigged for pulling a folding goose neck trailer hence the winch. I got my trailer licence on one of these aged 19 and first load was a D8h on a tri axle trailer. Twin stick shift 5x4 6-71 GM. Thought all my xmases had come at once.

Replies10
  1. #1Tones2019-06-26 16:36

    https://www.cnclips.net/video/uITruoOjPAU/international-f230d.html Just for you RZucker.2 GM's 1 vid The trailer is basically the same. someone has modified it adding rear ramps

  2. #2RZucker2019-06-26 18:23

    I worked for a company in the 80's that had an old IH set up as an oil field rig up truck with 2 huge Tulsa winches and a set of heavy duty gin poles, It had about a 300" wheel base and could lift anything in the yard. Had the same fenders and hood, later model 290 Cummins with a 10X4 trans. They also had a Hyster beam trailer with 4 axles that had the same type of winch neck as the video shows, just a narrow version.

  3. #3DMiller2019-06-26 20:18

    Over here that is a IH R series. My Favorite, just ask anyone!!

  4. #4RZucker2019-06-26 20:59

    Actually the "F" models were heavier duty than the "R" models and some of the F models were still going into the early 70's. They used the same cab, but that was about it. And it was still a tight fit for us guys that are 6'1". For some reason the F models I have been around had the steering column laid down a bit... Right in your lap.

  5. #5DMiller2019-06-26 21:10

    Rs were bad enough Column down would suck

  6. #6RZucker2019-06-26 21:26

    For some reason they did that to point the shaft at the front mounted steering box. I guess.

  7. #7Tones2019-06-27 05:05

    The laid down steering was an excellent idea. It allowed blokes with a fat guts to roll a smoke while driving. Believe me I've seen it happen

  8. #8funwithfuel2019-06-27 06:26

    Sounds like it woulda been perfect for me, although I'd probably still have needed blocks on the pedals. I'm a bit , vertically challenged

  9. #9Tones2019-06-27 06:39

    Hah you would have been OK. The bloke with the fat guts was 5' 4" standing up or laying down.

  10. #10DMiller2019-06-27 06:48

    The Midwest did not see all the variations on truck Chassis/cabs as did not have the industries as the West Coast logging. Had a few heavy haulers with bigger odd equipment but stayed limited until the 70s. The old wagons were definite attempts to re-engineer what they had More run what ya brung type machines