I have an old IH TD20B with the DT-429 engine which I first joined the site for which has a failing coolant pump. The IH part number is 612106C91 or 92 but is no longer available through them as they used the engine in a farm tractor. I called the Dallas Komatsu dealer and they say it isn't available through them either. They gave me a number for an 'Advanced Machinery Parts' in Georgia but it was too late today to call them. I don't want to go used if I don't have. Anyone here maybe have one on a shelf or know of a source? This is yet another reason to steer clear of the old abandoned brand machines!
There are quite a few places that repair water pumps. Usually all they need are bearings and seals replaced. Just that most commonly it is cheaper to exchange than to repair the existing. But in a situation like yours it might be best to get it repaired.
Works for me. I had no idea they might exist. The seal and bearing kit though is NOT available from CaseIH
I imagine they adapt seals and bearings that they can get to match but I don't know how they work their magic. I wish I could point in a specific direction but a friend of mine did it once about 15 years ago and then I saw the service advertised more recently but I can't remember where. Hopefully keeping this thread alive will give a more concrete suggestion
I have found several pump rebuilders after doing a quick Bing search. One in particular in Arizona, Kellogg, will get the first call Monday as they advertise specializing in obsolete pumps and can make custom parts if needed. Birken, thanks for the suggestion. Any others or leads are also appreciated.
For anyone interested, I contacted Kellogg Automotive at 877 499 2011. They had actually rebuilt a few of them and have a price listing for it. At $375 its way higher than a Case reman would have been but as that is no longer an option, I'm glad to find someone who can keep it from becoming a pasture ornament. Thanks for the suggestion Birken!
Thanks for posting your research. Now I will know where to go when I have this problem.
Is the 429 pump any different than a dt466? Id check agparts.com first. New is probably $120 or so. Just did one on my truck
mike, yes, the 429 is a precursor to the 400 series (414, 436, and 466). the coolant pump is separate and mounted down on the right side in front of the oil cooler. There is no IH parts support for it and barely any rebuild parts available. A true dinosaur made of unobtanium!
wrwtexan you know about: http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/forum/9-ih-construction-equipment/ right?
Yes, I'm actually a member over there also.
An update on my pump dilemma; I went ahead and stripped it down and found the bearings to be off the shelf ball bearings. I ordered them from my local Purvis dealer and then was able to order just the seal from Kellogg Automotive so instead of a $375 + rebuild, I fixed it for less than $90. Kellogg is a nice outfit to deal with for anyone else facing this problem.