Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IHI 45nx info needed???

Harry ยท 2011-12-15 05:38

Hi all, Im looking at getting a mini excavator in the spring to work with around town. I see IHI minis go for cheap on the web. Ive never seen one around home in New Brunswick Canada. Just wondering who they are made by and if they are of quality or cheap junk. Im looking for 8500lbs to 11000lbs machine. Everybody has the 4000 to 7000 lbs machines but not very many in the size im looking at. The 304 cat komatsu pc 40-50, yanmar vio all interest me but this IHI i wonder????? Just looking for opinions on the IHI. Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1KSSS2011-12-15 17:32

    I ran an IHI for 3-4 years. I have nothing but good to say about the machines and the support from the distributer in Etown, Ky. Top notch people and I think the machine compares favorably with any mini ex on the market. Google IHI. Huge company. They dont have the name of others in North America but dig holes just as well and in a lot of cases better. Check the specs against others in the same weight class and you will see what I mean.

  2. #2maddog2011-12-27 08:55

    I own a 35 IHI and have to say "it's great" All I've done is change the fluids, grease it, and added a thumb. It does great with fuel and I can hardly hear it run. I belive mine weighs 8500-9000lbs.

  3. #3JD88752011-12-27 20:31

    Love my IHI I have a 2003 IHI 30NX with about 1300 hours on it and love it. It was cheap, is reliable, sips fuel, has good power, and is simple enough to work on for basic maintenance. Only wish it had grease zerks on the lower stick pin and power "dog bone" pin. I would certainly buy another IHI machine, and have looked around at their track machines. I built a 24" smooth bucket and a thumb and its a great piece of equipment. John

  4. #4KSSS2011-12-31 13:57

    Your 35 sized machine should way aroud 7K. The 45 is around 9K.

  5. #5Digdeep2012-01-01 11:22

    Just like the others have said, IHI makes a very solid mahine. They just don't have the distribution that the main brands have.

  6. #6Harry2012-01-04 02:35

    So where are they built?

  7. #7KSSS2012-01-04 21:43

    Japan. Imported to the US by Compact Excavator Sales http://www.ihicompactexcavator.com/home/

  8. #8Palmer782012-01-04 22:22

    I have a 2004 35N and it's a great machine. Weight is almost 8000 lbs. I don't know why they aren't more popular in the states. They seem to be better built than many of the more common brands here. I do have one and only one complaint though..........the color.

  9. #9KSSS2012-01-04 22:51

    Yea the color is a little ....odd. The only thing that has held this OEM back has been a solid dealership presence in N.A. They are getting into CTL's so that might help. I dont see why they cant be at least as successful as Tak is in establishing dealerships, since IHI's offerings are much the same. One thing for sure, whatever the reason is its not because the equipment is somehow deficient. I have not run their CTL's but their excavators are excellent.