Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IHI Mini Excavator tracks will not extend on one side

rrrrhardy ยท 2022-07-10 12:10

Bought an IHI 9NX-2 Mini Excavator on an auction. Fixed everything wrong with it except the tracks will not extend on the right side. It is a simple tube in a tube design with one hydraulic cylinder that pushes the tracks out till they hit a stop bolt on either side. The left side extends the correct distance and hits the stop bolt. Right side does not budge. Checked the stop bolt and it is fine. Loosened the track frame plate the cylinder attaches to and the cylinder will retract about 3/8 inch. I'm assuming if there was a cylinder issue, I should be able to manually force the track frame out 3/8 inch. Still doesn't budge. I took the plate off the bottom of the main frame below the hydraulic cylinder. I was able to place a bottle jack with the base against the frame and the piston pushing on the same plate the hydraulic cylinder pushes against. Doesn't budge. Tried soaking with penetrating oil for days. The right track frame does look like it was hit hard. Has 2 dents like a forklift hit it. I'm guessing the hit jammed the tracks in so hard they are wedged tight. Only idea I have left is to completely remove the left side track frame to look inside the main frame tubes to see if there is an internal stop the right side is wedged against. Any ideas on how to tackle this problem would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1skyking12022-07-10 13:53

    yep it's probably bound up by a dent and maybe also a rock. You have to figure out how to get it apart and relieve the dents or deformations. You will have to look at it and apply as much force as you can without destroying things. A inexpensive borescope might be handy for diagnosis.

  2. #2uffex2022-07-11 04:00

    Good day If it is the same as the 35 machine you have one cylinder to extend & retract the frames, if one is shifting and not the other I suggest disconnect the cylinder and see if it is free, short of that check what pressure you have in the cylinder lines. Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3rrrrhardy2022-07-12 12:31

    Thanks Uffex. I was able to take out most of the bolts that connect the cylinder plate to the track frame. Others I could only loosen so the plate had about 3/8s movement. That tells me if the cylinder was the issue, I should be able to move the tracks manually about 3/8s. Didn't budge.

  4. #4skyking12022-07-12 20:17

    I would doubt the cylinder would be the issue if it moves the other track OK. It is a physical binding in the sliding works.