Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

implement suggestion for dirt work?

johndeerefarmer · 2019-06-03 09:50

I am looking for an implement for dirt work. I have a heavy dozer blade that does a fair job with my Deere 329E compact track loader but it tends to not dig smoothly. In other words I am dozing and when the tracks start slipping i have to raise it up to keep moving. This leaves dips and hollows in my work. I try to go back later and fill them but not easy. I have hard black gumbo and red clay so digging is tough anyway. With my farm tractor I would put on the chisel plow or disc to break the ground up first and then use the bucket and grader blade. What can I use with the compact track loader? Does somebody make a chisel plow or disk for use on a CTL or skid steer? Or maybe a tiller to break up the soil and then use the dozer blade or bucket? Any other ideas? I am mainly doing some terracing type work to fix some drainage issues and all of the waves and dips just hold water Thanks

Replies28
  1. #1Delmer2019-06-03 10:24

    I've made chisel plows that go in the top of the bucket so when you back up and dump the bucket, you can lower the chisels into the ground. Another thread here showed a bucket that had swing down shanks on the lower back of the bucket to do the same thing, that was a track loader or dozer blade maybe.

  2. #2ianjoub2019-06-03 17:36

    There is a thread on here that has an attachment for grading. It has scarifiers to loosen things up.

  3. #3DIYDAVE2019-06-03 20:25

    Ya need to buy or build something like this...

  4. #4KSSS2019-06-03 20:59

    I have one of those and it works really well.

  5. #5johndeerefarmer2019-06-04 09:31

    Thanks, I found that as well. Bobcat has one as does Paladin (FFC). I have requested a price from my dealer.

  6. #6dirtmonkey2019-06-08 14:50

    I have the bobcat ripper attachment as well. Toss the skid shoes and add rippers in its place. Worth every penny

  7. #7KSSS2019-06-09 20:34

    I did the same thing, ditched the skid shoes and replaced with rippers. Saves a ton of time and easy to bring along on a job.

  8. #8dirtmonkey2019-06-10 06:46

    Another option is to buy a three point attachment plate and use a standard box blade and ripper. If you have tractor implements already such as an angle blade and small disk ,this may be a good alternative, its just a little slow to swap them out. I have two plates. One stays hooked to a box blade and the other is free to use on other implements. Add a tilt attachment plate and you’re cooking with gas !

  9. #9johndeerefarmer2019-06-10 08:45

    Do you mean that you were able to add two more rippers by installing them where the shoes go? Did you buy two more from Bobcat like the others or use something else? Thanks

  10. #10dirtmonkey2019-06-10 10:48

    Yes. Just order two extra rippers for the attachment

  11. #11johndeerefarmer2019-06-10 12:25

    Thanks I appreciate it

  12. #12john hofer2019-06-10 20:50

    For draining low spots on land I use a tractor with pull type buggy

  13. #13johndeerefarmer2019-06-14 09:03

    What did you guys pay for the ripper? Thanks

  14. #14dirtmonkey2019-06-14 09:58

    Around $1300

  15. #15johndeerefarmer2019-06-16 09:19

    Is that the Bobcat brand or FFC (Paladin) though they all seem identical. Thanks again

  16. #16dirtmonkey2019-06-16 09:24

    Bobcat brand

  17. #17CANNONMAN12019-06-18 22:02

    Who makes or has a tilt attachment plate for the 3pt. Adapter to a box scraper. I use mine all the time & have often wished it would tilt a little side to side

  18. #18dirtmonkey2019-06-19 07:24

    The tilt attachment is a separate attachment itself. The tilt attachment has a skid steer attachment plate on the other side. So... the sequence of hooking up would be..hook the tilt tach to the loader and then hook the three point adapter to that. Hope that makes sense lol

  19. #19johndeerefarmer2019-07-03 08:55

    Couple more questions if you don't mind. Do the shanks have any kind of shear bolt protection? If not how much HP can it take without breaking something. my CTL is 85 HP and weighs 11000 lbs. Are the shanks reversible? Or do you always work in reverse? Have you found that it's easier to push an implement or drag it backwards? Thanks

  20. #20KSSS2019-07-03 09:21

    I was on the Paladin site last night looking at something else and saw the Scarifier. It does look identical to the BC one I bought 20 years ago. There are no shear bolts and you don't need them. The shanks are strong and cheap as are the replaceable teeth. The Teeth are peened on to the shank. So you need to torch them off for replacement. They don't pin. You really cant break this attachment. I use my 90hp CTL on them and I have never broke it and the ground here is river rock with some dirt sprinkled in. I have only used it in reverse, I don't think you can turn the shanks around based on the way they sit in the attachment, but honestly I would have to confirm that. It works really well going in reverse. It is really handy when you need to work highly compacted soil, saves a ton of time. Having a high hp CTL, makes it even more helpful. If your running into having to break up compacted soil it is like the pocket on your shirt. The attachment will fit in your dirt bucket, easy to carry around.

  21. #21johndeerefarmer2019-07-03 09:36

    Thanks very much. I was considering buying a chisel plow with spring loaded shanks and converting it over because I was worried about breaking something. My dealer said that he couldn't get a Paladin no where near the $1300 that has been mentioned here and in my online searches. This place has the FFC/Paladin for $1200 https://www.skidloadersource.com/ffc/ffc-scarifiers-/ProdDesc-LAF2201-125529.aspx Guess I will call around and try to find a closer dealer, if not order it from them

  22. #22johndeerefarmer2019-07-03 14:31

    I found one from Land Pride (Kubota) as well. I am getting quotes on both right now

  23. #23dirtmonkey2019-07-04 06:23

    Ksss gave a great reply . My response would mirror his. My cost may have been misleading because i paid cash but , my dealer has been very good to me . The Kubota attachment looks good ! Where are you in Texas ?

  24. #24johndeerefarmer2019-07-04 10:51

    Yes, I live in north Texas and typically buy from United Ag and Turf in Durant OK. Right now I am asking for qoutes from two Kubota dealers on the Land Pride version as well as one from the online company that I linked too.

  25. #25johndeerefarmer2019-07-06 14:32

    So far I have two quotes. The Bobcat with extra teeth is $1650. The Land Pride is $1588. I do have a CAT 2 quick hitch and could make an adapter and use a box blade as was suggested. I can probably buy a pretty heavy duty box blade for a few hundred more

  26. #26johndeerefarmer2019-07-06 16:29

    The dealer also sells he sells lot of land planes. I see they have scarifier teeth but I don't think they are hydraulic

  27. #27barnbuilder2019-07-06 17:40

    I think BC has the hydraulic scarifer as an option on the landplane.

  28. #28dirtmonkey2019-07-06 19:14

    I have the Bobcat land plane and love it! The teeth, well .......i would love to talk to the idiot that dreamed those up. So close to being done right but the teeth are more or less square tines that are good for raking and nothing else in my opinion. The cutting edges are weld on , not bolt on , another gripe i have but i still wouldn’t trade for it.