Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

In need of 12V71 Detroit Diesel mechanic

steve931 ยท 2009-04-08 04:36

I have a customer with a generator that has a 12V71 Natural Detroit Diesel with no oil pressure. I am not fimillar with the oiling system of this engine. I need name and number or e-mail address of a good Detroit Diesel mechanic. I understand this engine is also used in a lot of marine applications a good boat dealer might help. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. steve931.:usa

Replies5
  1. #1cletrac2009-04-08 21:13

    Not much to it. The oli pump drives off the front end of thr crankshaft. I've seen the woodruff key in the crank sheer off and drop pressure. Or relief valve stick. Drop the pan and see if the gear spins on the crank.

  2. #2td25c2009-04-08 22:39

    It uses a "geroter" type pump.It's like a gear inside of another gear.There could be a key sheered off.It drives off the the front of the crank like cletrac said.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2009-04-09 02:20

    Steve931 I know a good Detriot Diesel mechanic who worked for me for several years and has relocated to your part of the country. Send me a private message, and I will give you his number to call. I tried to send you a PM, but it says you do not accept them, and I will not post anyones number.

  4. #4steve9312009-04-09 07:29

    Thank you for your time on this matter I really appreciate .steve931

  5. #5Komatsu 1502009-04-09 09:58

    Just throwing this out there. The minimum oil pressure specs at idle for an old Detroit are scary low by todays standards. If the pressure goes up with RPM it could just be the gauge. BTDT with a truck that showed O PSI at idle. A master gauge showed it was OK according to Detroit - a worrisome 7 lbs.