Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

In the Beginning; Port Renfrew

GunnieSacked · 2024-11-23 00:27

Looking back to the beginning history in the San Juan Valley a small hamlet grew into a major Logging identity! https://www.portrenfrewbeachhouse.com/history-of-port-renfrew/ https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/community/sooke-history-a-brief-history-of-bear-creek-camp-624860 https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/community/sooke-history-building-the-bear-creek-bridge-125148 https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/community/sooke-history-blowing-up-bear-creek-trestle-141369 https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/com...ng-bridge-was-unforgettable-experience-123094

Replies7
  1. #1GunnieSacked2024-11-23 00:49

    Some pictures of the building of the Bear Creek Trestle

  2. #2GunnieSacked2024-11-23 01:27

    A few more pictures of the Bear Creek Trestle

  3. #3GunnieSacked2024-11-23 01:47

    And the Williams Creek Bedspring Bridge look close and you can see the cables

  4. #4donkey doctor2024-11-23 11:03

    Been across that cable bridge. It is one scary looking piece if engineering in real life. Got lost on my way to a service job one morning and found the bridge between me and where I was going. Had no clue weather it was in use or abandoned but took a chance and lived to tell the tale. d.d.

  5. #5GunnieSacked2024-11-25 00:17

    A little more information on the beginning of Port Renfrew. Through my conversations with camptramp, I found this about the History of the Davis Raft! The Story of the Davis Raft

  6. #6GunnieSacked2024-12-22 21:24

    Early Logging of the San Juan Valley the Logging, the Camps and the Trestles Click the link below Early Logging in the San Juan Valley The

  7. #7GunnieSacked2025-04-27 01:23

    . seems I didn’t post all that I initially wanted to with the Williams Creek - Reverse Curve Bedspring bridge. The story behind SOOKE HISTORY: Bedspring Bridge was unforgettable experience Historic span crossed Williams Creek in the upper San Juan Valley www.sookenewsmirror.com Williams Creek Bedspring bridge built in 1960 I also looked at a Facebook post (can’t find it to post), of the Bedspring bridge and It stated that 3 people have died from falling from off the bridge, did not mention how they fell. Also stated that Fletcher Challenger Canada who purchased BCFP in 1989, in 1995 they looked at the possibility of installing another bridge over Williams Creek, but decided to put the money required to other projects. Also I did an extensive search for other Bedspring bridges and this one stands alone. The only other bridge using similar cable suspension that I found was the San Francisco Bay Bridge 1930.