Hello, I’m new to the grader world. I was wondering if someone could explain to me how the inching pedal works and when to use it. I run a cat 160m. When going down the road in 8th gear, do I need to use the inching pedal to downshift or no. Thanks for the help.
No you do not. Is there an operation manual still in the pocket behind the seat.? It explains the use of the inching pedal quite well. Pretty much all you use it for is taking off from a dead stand. Even making changes of direction when you are grading using the lower gears 1-4 does not require the use of the inching pedal. The transmission electronics sorts it all out for you.
Sounds great. So using the break and downshifting is all I need, unless I come to a complete stop. When coming to a stop from the 8th gear, I will still need to downshift accordingly right? Unless I am in auto
Can someone give me an example of How you would approach a stop sign when you are going down the road in a high gear
You really need some input from the experienced grader hands. I’ll post something up later from the Operator Manual but nothing beats practical experience. EDIT: Here's the "something". Cat refer to the inching pedal as the "transmission modulator control", which is effectively what it does. What the manual refers to as Shuttle Shifting is changing direction without the use of the inching pedal. I suggest that you read through the whole document but especially the highlighted parts.