Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Inching pedal vs deaccelerator

Bbabbs · 2025-10-21 10:49

Could someone explain the difference between an inching pedal, an accelerator pedal and a deaccelerator pedal on a dozer?

Replies20
  1. #1Mcrafty12025-10-21 12:46

    An inching pedal is similar to a clutch pedal, it decouples the engine from the transmission so you can 'inch' along by feathering that pedal. An accelerator pedal is like the one on your vehicle, you want more fuel you push down on it, a decelerator pedal works opposite, you push down to decrease fuel you let off to increase fuel. used on dozers so you don't need to apply pressure steadily while dozing, usually just when shifting, or stopping.

  2. #2nikthewho2025-10-21 12:54

    The inching pedal aka transmission modulator control is positioned where a clutch pedal would be in a manual vehicle. On dozers with powershift transmissions, pressing this pedal partially or fully disengages engine power from the transmission, allowing very precise control of ground speed while keeping engine RPM high for responsive hydraulic operation. the accelerator pedal increase engine RPM & deaccelerator - well you know it now.

  3. #3Bbabbs2025-10-21 21:16

    Thanks for these answers

  4. #4chidog2025-10-21 22:57

    And what dozer has an inching pedal? With a torque converter powershift just slow the engine down and do the inching.

  5. #5Mcrafty12025-10-22 04:47

    Caterpillar dozers are known to have inching pedals, which provide greater control over the machine's speed and operation. Other brands may also feature inching pedals, but Caterpillar is one of the most recognized manufacturers that includes this feature in their models. cat.com Wikipedia

  6. #6Nige2025-10-22 05:18

    That text only applies to smaller dozers equipped with a hydrostatic transmission and works entirely different to an inching pedal on a machine equipped with a powershift transmission. I have never seen any Cat dozer fitted with a powershift transmission that has an inching pedal. They all use a decelerator pedal to control the machine at low speed.

  7. #7Willie B2025-10-22 07:47

    Mine is Dresser TD7G. It has a decellerator. With a torque convertor, and three speed transmission it's a good combination. Took a bit to learn to line the machine up before pushing hard. Any steering while pushing hard leaves me with only one track pushing, often results in a spinning situation. I understand newer dozers push with both tracks, only slow the inside track for slight changes in direction.

  8. #8Nige2025-10-22 08:10

    If the blade is equipped with hydraulic tilt then try digging one corner of the blade in using the tilt. The resulting unequal load on the blade will make the machine turn slightly.

  9. #9D6 Merv2025-10-22 09:47

    Komatsu D31 and D41 have a inching pedal. They are direct drive powershift; ie no torque converter so have to have the inching pedal for close or fine work; ie hooking up a drawbar pin

  10. #10Willie B2025-10-22 17:35

    Thank you, I'll try that. In my world nothing is flat. I'm always pushing either straight uphill, or at an angle to the fall line. If I don't correctly predict the sideslip, I end up turning. Often have to back up a bit to correct.

  11. #11Nige2025-10-22 17:43

    With practice you ought to find that you can steer the machine quite effectively without having to resort to pulling any steering clutch levers simply by using the blade tilt function to lower one corner of the blade slightly deeper into the ground than the other.

  12. #12Acoals2025-10-22 18:11

    My John Deere 450G has one. It is a direct drive machine. You can slow the engine down on mine as well, but the pedal decouples the drive without slowing the engine. It is usefull for picking rocks or stumps out.

  13. #13Willie B2025-10-22 19:18

    I'm on it. I am intrigued to try.

  14. #14materthegreater2025-10-24 22:26

    I mostly have experience with Case dozers (from the 80s and 90s). I was using my 850D today and the ability to have one track in high range and the other in low range is very useful for pushing in a curve. It has an accelerator which seems fine to me since my uses for it are usually not more than an hour or two at a time. And not usually long pushes.

  15. #15aongheas.macask2025-10-25 13:02

    I agree Nige, inching pedals I worked on dumped the control oil for swash plate on pumps driving hyd motor in hydrostatic transmissions thus reducing flow then speed.

  16. #16Bbabbs2025-10-28 22:09

    My Komatsu D31-E has an inching pedal and deaccelerator. It is power shift

  17. #17Colby birdwell2025-10-30 13:38

    Machines cranks fine but you hear a slight buzzing/vibration. I pulled the floor pan and belly pan then I found that the front pump right behind the engine (there’s two hydro pumps) the line coming out of the top of the pump going to the hydraulic filter is buzzing and vibrating. Once you press the brake release button then line begins to buzz louder and vibrating noticeably more. The dozer still pushed fine but I’m not using it. I checked ports on the picturing I’m attaching and all are at spec with brake down and brake released.

  18. #18Colby birdwell2025-10-30 13:38

    Anyway anyone could help me with the issue I’m having

  19. #19Acoals2025-10-30 18:46

    Dude, what are you talking about? This is a thread debating the merits of declutching pedals on dozers. If you are having a problem with your dozer, go to the dozer section and start a thread about it. Start with what the machine is, and a serial number. Otherwise what you are doing is like walking into a diner, seeing some guys who look like maybe they know what a dozer is, and interrupting their conversation to ask why your machine makes a weird noise . . .

  20. #20Colby birdwell2025-10-30 19:18

    Sorry I didn’t see this being wrong thread.