I'm starting to notice some pretty substantial increases in parts now. Never really took much heed to it until last Friday. I decided to do a brake job on one of the lowbeds here. I pulled a drum and shoes off, and headed to my local Fleetpride to match them up. Good news was, they had everything I wanted in stock. They warned beforehand of a shortage and hard time getting many things, especially the more popular parts. Bad news is...a drum that I bought 2 years ago at $130.00 each is now $295.00 each. The shoe kits (although not earth-shatteringly expensive,) went from around $50.00 a wheel to $90.00 a wheel Friday. That caught my attention. The salesman said that their house brand (OTR) is made by Webb, a US-based mfger. They are 22 weeks behind in production for all the reasons I won't get into. The mfger. sent out a bulletin recently to vendors asking everyone to "please cancel all of your orders, let us build up on inventory, and then please re-order everything to let us catch up". So they're saying forget about the stuff you've been waiting for for almost 6 months, then re-order it again and wait some more. That's an eye opener. Certain items are harder to get than others too.
Our suppliers have been honoring prices from whenever we ordered. So we will never cancel an order for anything that sells. It just gets more expensive, rapidly.
I read a article that said a lot of brake drums were made in ukraine. If that supply is shut down, every other supply gets taxed to make up for the shortfall.
11 months.
Last year I was buying 30 lb tanks of R134a for $120 each or if I bought 3 at a time it would be $105 each. This year my cost is $384 per tank and I’m only allowed 1 per month.
Those who chose not to cycle A/C in equipment and trucks this last winter will wish they had. I send out notices three times a winter for drivers to cycle the A/C-we encounter way less problems come summer.
most everything turns on the compressor when the defrost is used
No kidding-Except the bunk and Max A/C.
I bought 1 last year at 125. Stocked up a bit about a month ago at 375. There hiding in my bedroom so no passer bys lift them...... I generally go though 3 a year keeping the local farmers happy. I told them all the leaks will get fixed. Bit that's how it should have been to begin with.
It's everywhere. Many dealers already mark parts well above list. In another business I am in (spray foam) I just rebuilt two Graco Fusion guns. Each o ring kit is $145.00. While that is not a lot of dough the rub is it is really about $15.00 worth of rings. I won't do the OEM thing again. What really pissed me off the OEM package identified "MADE IN CHINA" in bold print. Also, a spray foam set which is two 55 gallon barrels (part A and B) went from a pre-COVID price of $1,200.00 to $3,750.00 if you can find it.
It’s going to get a lot worse. The words “Weimar Republic” come to mind.
Two weeks to flatten the curve.
Was at the power equipment shop last week. The owner is having big delays getting stock. 1500 piece order was 600 pieces short. Lack of small engine carbs because they are cast in the Ukraine.
I would say something-but it would stir up a bees nest from hell. But it's the truth, and people can't stand that.
I'm with ya, 100%...............and I don't like getting stung either.
uhhhh, yup.....
Over here on the right side of the field, Fleetpride kind of dominates the heavy duty truck parts scene, with the exception of some decent truck dealers that buy in bulk and are much more reasonable. I am going to check that out this week actually. I'm going to check with a Freightliner dealership that does a tremendous parts business in the Northeast here, and compare prices on the drums and shoe kits just for ha-ha's. But that same story of manufacturers being 6 months behind is a common one among the masses over around here lately, for anything from parts to tires to household goods.
Been doing that all my life. It's definitely extended the life cycle of my A/C systems, just by simply running it for a few minutes even in zero degree weather. Heck, it's warmer on A/C than the ambient temp's some days here, LOL...
In the near future, those same parts are gonna have a hammer and sickle logo on them inevidibly.
How soon before you see imported chemicals ? Can you see bad chemical problems ? Off spec, missing fire retardants, illegal additives, etc. Drywall with Sulphur ring a bell ?
Used to be they were made in Erie, pa. EMI "Erie Malleable Foundry" ended up making tons of them, put in a machine shop so they would supply them completely done. They closed maybe 15 years ago, work went offshore.
Oh come on you big chicken!
Digger Doug brought up a good point about off-spec products. I’m hearing reports of off-spec DEO. Mostly 15w-40. Blenders are switching additive suppliers and using what they can find. That’s a gray area. I haven’t heard any horror stories. Just weird looking oil sample reports.
I **** off enough people around here, because I'm middle of the road.
Social media is so messed up. Don’t even know if I’m even chatting with a real person or a bot. So polarizing. I’m glad we all sorta get along. Time to come clean. I’m actually a young Chinese lady named Jia Ling. I work in a Shanghai text farm.
So your the one responsible for the price of fuel.
我以优惠的价格卖给你燃料。 Wǒ yǐ yōuhuì de jiàgé mài gěi nǐ ránliào.
I'll send that to my brother he is fluent in Chinese.
^ thats sexy talk
Just like Chief Dan George in Outlaw Josey Wales--only someone in Oklahoma would know that.
我以优惠的价格卖给你燃料 I sell you fuel at good price
I just had a multi language Taiwanese neighbor interpret that------------- {You no tell me what f@ck do I work here ten f@ck year.
I just unloaded a pallet of 20-1657VB outboard drums today at the shop $136.21 each. RK4707Q23 shoe kits $47.96 each. Setting on 40 drums stock piled right now but those won't last long.
Mother Cat just announced +15% across the board. Bob
I guess you better get em while you can.............
Injection pump parts went up 65% across the board.!!! I haven’t raised my prices tho.. It’s gonna reach into my pocket sooner or later and I won’t be able to help out very much..
DAMNED Glad bought my brake parts when did now!!!!
Yeah, I've got a customer's Chevy UPS style walk-in delivery van here converted to a food truck. It's got a 6.2L GM diesel, and the injection pump's bad. I saw them (reman) for around $400.00 last time I searched one out about 6 months ago...I wonder what they're going for now...? I need to get that thing running and outa here asap, it's been sitting here for a year and it's in my way something awful. Last conversation with him was about me carrying it down to his new residence in Wilmington, NC, and I'd rather just push it on/pull it off the trailer down there than have to change the pump in that thing honestly. I kinda got this thing dumped in my lap by this guy a year ago, and it's getting old having it here. He just needed to get it outa where he had it, and me being Mr Nice Guy went and got it outa there and brought it home. Then he starts giving me a list of stuff to fix on it to make it road worthy. I have PLENTY to do on my own iron all the time, constantly...so finding time for outside work is pretty tough. I like the second option of hauling it to NC and making it disappear. for me.
I’ve done quite a few of them.. it’s a 2 man job.. 1 guy inside and 1 out.. U GOTTA get the #’s off the pump name plate and match it to the new/reman pump.. a 6.2 isn’t a 1 pump fits all.. they’re all different so do yer homework..
Understood, that's why it's still sitting here a year later. I wasn't obligated to get it running, just get it out of where it was previously. I "volunteered" to help him locate parts and do something when time permitted me to do so, but I haven't found that time yet. Which is ok with me because I know how that job can be. That's why I can't even get anyone in a 100 mile radius of here to work on it. No biggie; I'm looking forward to pushing it onto the lowbed and carrying it to NC more than ever now.
Well, it has finally happened to my industry. Got pre-notification this morning that prices will be going up again, this time also on backordered stuff. Because it has yet to be made and they can't make it for the old prices.
I wouldnt have to worry about all this if I would have just put in a rv park and a mini storage when I first thought of it 30 years ago.
I know that feeling. Dad used to come up with different ideas all the time for waterfowl decoys and always told him I would get around to building his creations when I had time. Now at least 3 of his ideas on on the market through the big name hunting equipment companies
I thought you were opening up a dancing joint? Guess you can't deal with the labor negotiations in this tight hiring market....
All I could find to hire was Karens. Who wants to watch or listen to that!?
Here's where your next brake drums are coming from https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1111121279467747 Joe H
Where quality is NOT Job One!!!! Nor quantity or repeatability, WOW!!
Might be better than the ones available now.
A huge part of the labor problem is the vacuum created with boomers retiring. It was stated 12 years ago what to expect, and it's happened. Our book keeper is retiring the 15th at 69. Office has gone through 5 trying to find one to replace her. It's going to take two. Boss told me even after Penske starts doing a major part of the work I will still be a employee for as long as I want after I retire.
Can you imagine what the state of California would say about that process.
I personally don't think about California or other states doesn't do any good.
I worked Feld truck leasing that merged to Gelco lease where after the Feld ceo died Gelco sold off the Feld operations to Penske who essentially shut all the competition shops down. All my side work revolved of my career there. I was deemed a Unsuitable employ.
Penske is the main hiring firm for VoTech schools.
I can't believe how many companies I see with trucks leased from penske or budgit
Guess they could have changed in over thirty years.
Truck prices and availability, can't order a truck in some cases so lease it. Penske doesn't pay top dollar but a place to get their feet wet before moving on.
And so it goes-Some are still asking high prices for used trucks-but the bottom has fallen out. Freightliner is running ahead of schedule on new truck orders by 4 to 5 months. 3 axle tractors are not worth much at this point and the used value of 4 axle has fallen off.
Brake drums like that used to be made at EMI foundry in Erie, Pa. until 20 years ago, buildings are coming down in the next few weeks.
American Car and Foundry shop in St Charles MO made HDT brake drums until closed their casting plant late 60s.
Seeing the prices for used iron also not holding now. Auction numbers no longer back up retail asking price percentages. Rental markets are still strong.
I would like to think I'm creative and skilled enough to build brake drums like them boys in the india video, but I'm not too sure I could come up with a usable product. I know for sure I couldn't do it in my bare feet.
They don't have the option of sitting on their ass waiting for their welfare check to arrive. Joe H
It seems like they could be doing a lot more to automate that process, even in their own back yard there. For instance that sand shaker, they could drive it off an electric motor with some sort of eccentric. It's not like they don't have skills to make whatever they want there.
"People are Cheaper"
Just chiming in here: l went to a local Napa to get wheel seals for an R model Mack I was quoted $88.00 per for the rears! Plus a shipping fee! I was making tracks for the door while they were asking if I wanted to order them. I used to be determined to get parts at brick and mortar shops but now I am much more open minded to hunting things down on the inter web.
You can't afford to shop for truck parts at a chain parts store. I pay $38.72 for CR47697 drive seals from truck dealers on average. A set of 4707 drive shoe kits from Napa $90.00 bucks a box, I can buy them from Freightliner for $42.00 a box.
You gotta remember, Pakistan is full of cheap labour, so any automation you install puts a family member out of work. Plus, electricity there is expensive, but the labour is dirt-cheap. A friend was buying Indian-built "Metex" engines and selling them in Australia and making a good killing out of them. The Metex was a copy of the early low-speed Lister diesel engines. He said the Metex foundry was on a par with the Pakistani/Indian YouTube videos - guys in flip-flops and bare feet jumping over casting boxes whilst carrying a ladle of molten iron! But he said the interesting part was, there was a Grove manufacturing facility not far away that he inspected. The Grove facility was producing truck-mounted cranes, and the yard contained several new rigs ready to go. However, inside the factory, the employees were lifting heavy components around with many guys hanging on to ropes and pulley blocks! He said to the factory manager, "You've got a yard with new cranes out there! Why aren't you using one of them in the factory!?" He said the manager looked genuinely shocked, and he replied, "But what would these men do for work and income, if I replaced them all with a truck crane?"
Believe it or not, I HAD TO raise my prices.!! 1st time in over 10 YEARS.!!! Inj pump parts prices have gone thru the roof.. parts I was paying 15.00 for are now 50.00.!!! I held off as long as I could.. I was “absorbing” the cost and telling myself, “I was helping folks out”.. The kicker came yesterday when I was at the Post Office and they raised their Flat Rate box another 1.00.. I HAD TO go up a whopping 15.00..to the total cost of a rebuild. Sorry if it effects u cheap bastards.. lol
As long as you're still giving the HEF 50% discount we are good!
Sshhh.!!!
U know we have strangers walking thru here.. + 15.00 is for newbies.. lol
The average price for a PT pump anymore is $850.00, I remember when it was $475.00.
And don't forget he takes bad checks. Joe H
Going through invoices this morning, one of our satellite trucks had the oil changed in the transmission. At a Freightliner dealer, boss ok'd it to show it was changed for warranty purpose. 14qts 75x90 is what it takes on a drain and fill. 4 gallons Delvac 1-75x90 MTD----$94.30 a gallon---$377.20 Labor to remove drain plug drain oil replace plug remove fill plug-fill and replace plug. Pour old old in waste tank-$194.00. 75x90 is roughly 7 pounds to the gallon, my cost $36.40 a gallon. Bulk price for Citgo. It takes me less than 20 minutes, their labor rate is $170.00 an hour.
Going through invoices this morning, one of our satellite trucks had the oil changed in the transmission. At a Freightliner dealer, boss ok'd it to show it was changed for warranty purpose. 14qts 75x90 is what it takes on a drain and fill. 4 gallons Delvac 1-75x90 MTD----$94.30 a gallon---$377.20 Labor to remove drain plug drain oil replace plug remove fill plug-fill and replace plug. Pour old old in waste tank-$194.00. 75x90 is roughly 7 pounds to the gallon, my cost $36.40 a gallon. Bulk price for Citgo. It takes me less than 20 minutes, their labor rate is $170.00 an hour.
IDE have charged $500 just to look at it. No charge for the beer IDE be holding
I knew you were just a boozer laying on a creeper.