Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Individual injection pumps

partsandservice ยท 2013-03-25 23:48

Antone here ever timed a John Deere engine with individual injection pumps. In this case there are five pumps that operate off the cam . I can get the model of the engine just cant remember it tonite. It may be a yanmar branded as Deere. I dont see any way to adjust each injector pump. It has a rack that is connected to each injector that cuts fuel on and off. Is it good enough to time the cam and and drop the pumps or does each one need to be flow timed?

Replies7
  1. #1cutting edge2013-03-26 08:48

    Thats a 5030 and you're gonna have to get the procedure and tooling from your freindly local deere dealer.

  2. #2partsandservice2013-03-26 23:52

    If I can find how many degrees before top dead center injection is and how to adjust the pumps. Then degree the cam into five equal quadrents . Rotate and flow time injector pumps on the firing order I might able to let the Deere continue think that it can't be done without the tool. After the same stuff over and over, I take this as a challenge.

  3. #3cutting edge2013-03-27 01:38

    Good luck with that then. Would this be a good time to tell you about the hydraulic lifters for the injectors for the cold start advance?:lmao Don't feel bad....those engines are a pain in the ass to work on at the best of times.

  4. #4partsandservice2013-03-27 20:37

    A curve ball early in the count. Will get into the reverse engineering hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on the hydraulic lifter for the pumps.

  5. #5cutting edge2013-03-28 02:12

    Then Im not gonna tell you about the rack magnet that falls off too. Trust me, you need the tooling to set them up right.

  6. #6partsandservice2013-03-29 17:59

    Ok,ok because of time constraints I borrowed the dial indicator to set the rack and also ordered five unit injectors because this engine came to me in a box and the pump lifters were not kept with the corresponding pumps. However, I think with enough time this could be done without the tooling. The rack set up would be no different from a3116 cat which can absolutely be done without the tooling. I was able to locate the calibration marks near the bottom of each pump. All five injectors would have to be installed and each unit would have to be calibrated in fifth hole to shutoff at fuel control stop with the delivery valve removed and fuel gally pressurised. Then after each injector has been calibrated with its respective lifter the injectors would have to sync to each other by rotating to ensure all are shutting off fuel at the same time thus all delivering the same amount of fuel. The hydraulic part of the pump lifter seems to only come into play when in cold start otherwise it is a solid lifter. There is a valve in the block that I believe is an oil therapy that controls this advance or lack of. I love a challenge and even though I was not able to beat the system this time, I now have an understanding of this full system that i did

  7. #7cutting edge2013-03-29 18:44

    :drinkup