I've been doing this for 6 years now company I'm at isnt too bad got my yearly review got the usual your doing a great job , sales are down here your $1.00 3% increase. Ive been working my tail off getting difficult jobs , troubleshooting issues , working on machines I have never worked on before getting them fixed the last year and a half. I told my manager I've seen you guys hire a lot of older field techs that have been supposedly doing this since they came out the womb and can't even figure out how to work a phone or let alone work a computer to find a service manual or spend thousands of dollars in parts for a wire pay them 35-40.00+ an hour then when it's my turn its like pulling teeth for more money.Im not the best tech on the face of the planet but I own up to my mistakes , I work hard I enjoy learning , I make sure my work is good, feels like I'm getting shafted. Is this happening nationwide? , or is this just my luck makes me want to get out of this work.
Hard telling, without knowing you better. That’s why your toolbox has wheels. Time to drag up. This is what you should be earning.
We can't have an apples to apples conversation about pay rates without discussing the geographic location and most importantly - Cost of Living. I've been to Alaska and I've been to Savannah. I would wager 10 - crisp $100 bills it's much cheaper to live in Savanna than Prudhoe Bay Alaska. One can work year round in the Southeast to boot.
You don't get pay raises anymore by being very good at what you do for your employer. Your leverage is to be able to be hired by someone who will pay you more than you are currently making. Start looking for work else where if you need more money. If you like where you are and are just wanting more money but would like to stay with your current employer, then look for another employer who will pay more and then use that to negotiate with your current employer. I don't know anyone who lives permanently in Prudhoe Bay. All the people I know just cycle through there and live somewhere else.
I get it. I picked that particular job on purpose because nobody lives in Prudhoe. Or, Deadhorse for that matter. Maybe 25 residents at best. 40%-50% of the workforce is out-of-state. Live in Savannah, rotate 3x3, three hots and a cot, double time on Sunday, stack the cash. Only expense is Redbull, Zyn and OF subscriptions. The training, certs and contacts gained during that time could set a young feller up for success. Enough time left over to have a side gig back home, build a house, or a part time job.
Now, if a feller wants to settle down and do the 9-5, skip the adventure, weekends off, take the kiddos to soccer practice, there are options in town. Only if you can deal with working on trucks all day. Now, the cost of living becomes a thing, but the pay is adjusted for it.
I never had a problem if more experienced guys got paid a little more. I had a problem if a journeyman rate was set and some didn't get it. Also if an apprentice was getting the same or more than a journeyman largely because they knew someone higher up. I'd take less pay and better working conditions over higher pay and working for a tyrant any day.
See your point. I am so past those days of considering something like that, not even thinking about that aspect.
I think that I’ve aged out of those adventures, myself. I finished a big out-of-town trip last Sunday, and I’m still recovering.
My issue is the fact your putting a man in a service truck and says he's been doing this trade "all his life", and they pay him whatever he wants then ask then they know he's incompetent keep him around then guys in trucks already busting their tail actually fixing issues end up having actual work loads because your ur highest paid wannabe salty dog gets paid top dollar to do simple jobs because he can't be trusted with anything else then when raise time comes guys getting things done get hit with heres a dollar we can't pay you much more.
Unfortunately there are some shops like that with relatives or friends that are never laid off or let go because of who they know. They're kind of useless but get paid the same or more than more competent employee's. It's especially bad when the person knows they can slack off with no repercussions and act like they are the best in the shop.
Rule # 1, never work in business soaked in nepotism. Rule # 2, never work where the managers wear flat top haircuts {lord he thinks he's cool} {Paycheck}. Rule # 3, never work in a shop that has too many rules. Rule # 4, once have some factory training--find a Independent shop for employment. Rule # 5, expect to get the shaft working large or corporate type shop. Rule # 6, keep your nose in your own business, forget about the company snorkelers, ----------they are living in your head and taking up space and causing undue stress. Rule # 7, the grass is always greener somewhere else, but never really is after a few months. Rule # 8, there are no hero's in this industry, it's just a job worth doing if your up to it. Rule # 9, Find a after work hobby, thinking about work all day makes for a dull personality, ----------there are other things besides other peoples problems on wheels or tracks.
That's a good list. Sometimes a good job can go sour because a new person becomes a manager or shop foreman. I was a victim of that. The guy didn't stay long at that shop afterwards but the damage was done. I pursued a wrongful dismissal and a lawyer even said it was BS and pretty clear cut. It dragged on for years but even worse the company was giving out false info to prospective employers. It was just before the privacy act became law where a company couldn't say anything unless the employee signed a release. I think all they could say was you worked there from this date to that date. I was essentially black listed from getting a welding job. It was a big company and very well known and hard to fill in a big gap between jobs. Why was I dismissed by the new shop superintendent? The shop put a policy in place to pay all the journeyman welders the same rate. I was off with a broken collarbone and when I came back the other guys in the shop told me to inform the super I was a j-man. I was only getting 3rd year rate which was $1.50 less. He offered $.50. I asked why and never got an answer. I said if you're not going to pay me the j-man rate then lay me off. He told me to punch out and will right it up that I quit. I could come back in a couple weeks to get my final pay. Lawyer said to wait and see what employment record said. It said I quit that was wrong. Everybody in the shop except for a brown noser agreed I should have got the same pay. A good friend there figured they were mad because I broke my collarbone on my bike and they were really busy at the time. After losing my memory and being in the hospital I wasn't able to go back to work for over a year. When I did go back it had to be a low stress job. A couple years later I bought the skid steer. I did some landscaping for a guy who was the head engineer of a fab shop that built flare stacks, knock out tanks and some vessels. We got talking and I told him my story. He asked me if I'd like to go back welding and I said yes. He said they were busy and set up an interview for me. I got the job on nightshift. Got complimented by the shop manager at the start of my 2nd shift which apparently didn't happen very often. When Christmas came around several month's later I got a bonus and the boss said I was too good of a welder not to have my B pressure ticket. He booked an appointment for me at the boilers branch to take the B test. I wasn't really ready but got lucky and passed it. I left that job to go to a bigger vessel shop because the boss changed. Speculation was he was getting a monthly bonus if jobs went out before month end. One day before I even started he was complaining I wouldn't be working fast enough. He said I should be able to get 2 hexagon shaped flare stacks welded up and if I didn't there was a problem. I got almost 3 done which was as much as anyone else in the shop could do. Getting @hit before I even started I thought was totally uncalled for. My production proved it. I took it to heart and figured I wasn't appreciated anymore. The boss was kind of shocked when I gave my notice. I said the new job pays more. Then he asked the real reason I was leaving and I told him straight up! After the wrongful dismissal and hospital experience I don't put up with unwarranted BS! Life's too short and your health is most important. This is a little out of order but less than 3 month's after the wrongful dismissal I was in the hospital and stayed there for 5 weeks. 3 in the psych ward (probably because I said I'd rather be dead). At the time they thought I had encephalitis, inflammation of the brain. Years later found out it wasn't encephalitis. They don't know what it was, mini stroke maybe? I'm sure the stress of losing my job wrongfully was a big factor in ending up in the hospital. It's scary when you can't even say who you are for 17 hours! I'll quit a job than deal with a-holes. That's why I left the job as welding supervisor at West Edmonton Mall but that's another story. Sorry for the long post. I'm not in the best state of mind these days since losing my partner.
Depends what is out there. A private company might place value in a good employee over a large multinational company. Cat man. Awesome mechanic. Good customer relations. Got tired of being a number. Bought his own service truck. Says it's a struggle sometimes but the gratitude is real
Finally found an independent mechanic to wrench on the things we don't do ourselves which is mostly maintenance and plug and play stuff. He is a former Cat mechanic with all the pedigrees. Has a nice KW T300 with a Maintainer body and crane. Very reasonable on mileage and rates. Sends me an invoice through QB and I pay the invoice with the Amex. Easy-peasy.
I have worked up North and down South. Cost of living is just a little bit less but the company owners and bosses think they have you over a barrel. That’s because there is only so many places to work. If I feel I’m getting shafted my toolbox goes somewhere else. Worst thing I hate, is when I find they are hiring mediocre morons at the same or very close money. While I generally mind my own business, when I work for a company, I will crawl over broken glass and make their problem wife, disappear in a hole, if I have to. I expect to get paid for the loyalty and the experience, along with the ability to do just about anything. At this stage in my life and how beat up I am, I will walk at the slightest disrespect or disappointment. The boss is not my father and I will not be talked to like a child.
It might just be my regional perspective, but it appears as more guys are going mobile independent. I think it’s easier than ever to go independent. The accounting & tax software, phone apps, and various other technologies makes the office stuff easier and mobile. The overhead, technician shortage, drama and direct expenses required to staff a dealer or indi shop has gone through the roof. From a client perspective, having an obviously inexperienced dealer tech arrive on a job site while you watch him fumble the ball at $200@hr is very disheartening. Unless your company has stroke, you can’t even request the salty guy. Where you can talk directly to the independent guy and game plan a project directly.
It's been that way since I went out on my own in 1996. The only thing stopping a person from doing it is the initial expenses to get set up and have enough cash on hand to pay the family stuff until you find that good paying customer to pay your absorption costs.
X2 on this. Text to say whats wrong, where the machine is at and what level failure which dictates the last question of when can you get to it. Email a bill, pay online. Don't even need an office or a postage stamp.
I very much appreciate ACH transfers for accounts receiving. However, I still enjoy waiting for what surprises the mail truck lady may bring. There is just something about that mail box money. Big stacks of checks.
Here is a cool summer gig for a young fella. I see posted on the IBEW 1547 dispatch board. It doesn’t seem like much until you consider the IBEW benefit package and the career path into that world. If they like you, you will probably get invited back. That’s great wages for emptying garbage cans and mopping, hanging with the crew. Three hots and a cot. Probably includes your FR and walker wear, maybe a free 10hr OSHA and perhaps CS/CS rescue certs. Undoubtedly, they probably won’t fill the position because no zoomer in Healy can pass a UA. The entire Denali Borough for that matter.
If I had it to do all over again, might have stayed in the Marines longer, but then I could be dead so I don't get to worked up about that life choice. I would be a linesman for one of the power companies or the companies they sub to. They are making 6 figures with no overhead, and they are like city workers, no real hurry and one of the companies here, the guys have pillows in their trucks! As I type this my power has been out for 2 1/2 hours
Management got me squared away. Couldnt afford to lose me so that's awesome.
Good deal.
Even though the OP got taken care of------------------------------------------------------------------- Being a mobile unit---really depends on how far north of the equator one is. I saw guys years ago working mobile, when winter rolled around they were looking for a place to shack up. And most everyone I knew was old before his time, early arthritis setting in finger, shoulder joints, feet issues, nah--find a brick and mortar with concrete floor and heat. Money isn't worth the wear and tear that will come knocking later in life.
Many of my clients have nice or decent facilities. They are unable to retain mechanics. Or, their one guy is stretched so thin. Attrition is ridiculous. .
I've worked with a few guys that wanted to work as much overtime as possible so the could retire early at maybe 55. The problem is they are so burnt out and their bodies beat up they can't do the things they thought they'd be able to (when they were 30) when they're 55. Trades are heavy hard work and tough on the body. So are other jobs like driving trucks and equipment. New equipment is so much more ergonomic and operator friendly. You have a better chance of not aching so much when you retire.
I can't stand this "DIESEL MECHANIC" definition for a truck mechanic. Why don't they call it what it is. A diesel mechanic job definition should be a diesel engine specialist. At least the Heavy Equipment world gets it right.
There there are places, with jealous employees that will set you up for failure. I've worked at a few of those in my time.
That's all the more reason to be weary of others, and leave as soon as possible. The work place is and always will be a place to wear knife proof shirts. I believe there was a 70's tune called "back stabbers", and some use an ax. And being in a union doesn't mean a thing. Try to make this short. My wife worked for Pacific Power for 18 years-IBEW. When she was hired, she decided after two months it was going to work because the two women if the office were making life tough. She was talking on the phone with someone in Portland headquarters about leaving and the three previous hires only lasted one to two months. A lady in HR contacted her, and about two weeks later that same super showed up in WW regional, walked in told one lady hand over your keys and had her escorted off the property. The other women was called into a room---and managed to scrape by keeping her job. Wage embezzlement. The second women after some time took a job in another service center and was able to move up the ladder because all the people involved with incident retired. Then 17 years after that same women transferred back as a service coordinator over my wife. She had spent 17 years growing a list of back stabbing helpers in management. She made life for my wife so unbearable with the help of a manager my wife was totally distraught to the point of suicide. That women spent 17 years grinding a ax only to return to make life at work for my wife a living hell, total hostile work environment. The union steward and union rep did nothing.
Not union, but federal, same thing with my wife. Only 3 years in though, not 17 and I about have it set up so that my wife can work for my business instead. Tempted a few times to go up there to straighten her coworker out.
I think there can be many areas where a person may not always fit the exact definition of a job but still be considered as qualified to hold the job title if it's part of what they do. If you work on diesel engines but also on other parts of machinery doesn't disqualify you from being a diesel mechanic. Truck Shop for example does everything on trucks including diagnosing and repairing/rebuilding diesel engines. If his title was truck mechanic does that mean he can't also be a diesel mechanic? If part of your job fits the job description you should be able to use that title.
Well I only work on things that has a tilt hood and is diesel powered, so truck/diesel mechanic are all one in this case.
It's so satisfying when the trouble makers get what's due to them!' Reminds me of when a guy I worked beside told me the day shift foreman wasn't happy with my production. I asked my night shift foreman, who was great, and he said it was BS. He put me pipe spooling to give me some experience. He said my X-rays passed so everything was good. This idiot also tried to take my employee number because it matched his birthday. Payroll guy said you can't trade employee numbers. About a month before Christmas there was lay off because they were waiting for blueprints. The idiot got laid off despite working there longer than I did. I'd imagine they read him the riot act and maybe considered firing him. The reason he wanted me gone was because a friend of his was hired and he wanted him to work beside him pipe spooling instead of me. He also had a ghetto blaster in a wooden cabinet with a cooling fan he played at Max. volume. You couldn't even talk to someone it was so loud. In the new year the laid off employee's were brought back. Manager had an informal meeting with the shop workers and said unfortunately the people who were laid off don't get a Christmas bonus. I did! I was just grinning inside!! This idiot wore a triple filter fresh air welding helmet. He wanted the company to buy the filters but they said no. What was even more stupid was the guy smoked! That was OK because he smoked the lowest tar and nicotine cigarettes. Nobody could have a tuna sandwich or other seafood in the lunch room because he was allergic. He was just the biggest POS a-hole you could ever imagine!
I agree. I think some of the best trade positions today are in that arena. Linemen, Instrumentation & Controls, PLC guys, transformer & switch guys, SCADDA specialists. Even the IBEW laborer emptying the garbage cans and polishing the floor. I steered my son that direction and it has worked out fine. He went the double E route. Sometimes, he misses hanging out with the boys and getting dirty in the power house. Mike Rowe was recently on the Shawn Ryan show. They discussed the electrical trade workforce shortage and the numbers were staggering. Mostly driven by the data center build-outs.
Mike Rowe is a big promoter of the trades. I don't believe all the hype that they are 6 figure incomes. They can be but for most they won't be that high and it certainly takes many years to get into the upper wage class. I think for a journeyman 70-80K (maybe more depending on where it is) is a reasonable wage to expect. Getting in a trade and expected six figures after a few years as an apprentice is a bit of wishful thinking. Nothing wrong with $70K plus and regular increases for advanced training and more specialized work. Depends on how ambitious the person is and if they're always trying to move up the pay scale. Some people like working all the overtime they can get too. That could get you into six figures. For a general electrician six figures is a little much.
Depends on who owns it, Rocky Mountain Power/and sections of Pacific Power are owned by the Oracle of Omaha. Once he bought it--it turned to garbage, head office in Utah cut the workforce to show the 7% ROI he wanted to see, and changed the schedule for deleting old power poles from 40 years or so to 55 years plus. Axed the lineman, only kept single crews and most is subbed to Michaels.
I sold my farm to an IBEW lineman school. I got pretty frendly with several of them and 6 figs without disater travel is a fact. Also water company and sewer company utilty trades are great. Most water districts are qusi government jobs. Nashville electric services pays linemen $10.00 hr. over union scale
High time, high time including storm time, the list goes on. Way over paid.
My father's license said he was a T&T truck and trailer. He was a licensed automobile mechanic and when he moved into truck and trailer it was mostly gas jobs. His employer tried to get him to take training on diesel engines but he had no interest. The company had a diesel man and if it ever came to the point where he couldn't work on the rest of the truck, it was time to retire.
I specialize in one type of transportation--Trucks that are diesel powered. Note, I don't reply 97% of categories listed on the forum--because it's of no interest and not my forte.
Here you go: HeavyEquipmentForums
Buy a bigger Cezzna.....