I have been trying to find places to get info on how to setup and run a dirt job. Are there books to give tips on things to look for and inside tricks to make thing go a little smoother? I know there is no substitute for on the job experience but would like to lessen the cost of the learning curve.
Find a book titled "Moving the Earth" great book for about anything heavy equipment operating and job managing
without being rude, this is not the type of business you can jump in with no experience . you will loose lots of money and make some people angry. you are best to go work for someone for a few years and decide if you still want do it.
We do this type of work just on a smaller scale. We have the 10-15 thousand yard jobs pretty much down pat, just trying to find out if there are any books to help plan a bigger job. Somewhere in the 100,000 yard range.
Like Mitch said, Moving the Earth is hands down going to show you just about every way there is to move dirt, set up dirt packages etc. The Cat performance handbooks have the formulas for calculating productive numbers on a job vs the equipment you have as well.
I have that book if you're interested. Send me a PM
Hey Buck, how you been? This is mostly what I do, if you have an questions you can pm and we can talk. Not the best or most expericened, but have learned alot in the last couple years. Just finished around 200,000 yds, going tomorrow to start another 200,000.
I appreciate the help. Found that book "moving the earth" on amazon for 120 bucks Will be sending you guys a few pm's thanks for the help.