Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone could assist with my queries or point me in some directions online. I am after A track Skid-steer loader as I am starting a business contract with a large home-building industry - I know the person who does the hiring and costing and advised me to get myself a loader and truck and there will be work which has got me investigating the equipment. I have fork lift license a truck license and will need some training on how to use a loader which shouldn't take me long, I will be with a partner as we are going half on everything. I have some questions relating to the loaders - The loader will be for soil and rubbish removal Are Track styles more efficient for this type of work ? I have seen Wheel loader with a rubber track around the wheel is this a modification or something from factory, is it a modification worthwhile in terms of price, if wheel is cheaper is a cheaper option to buy this and modify in this fashion? I am in Australia and Have seen loaders from 20k - 90k AUD It is quite a large gap and since I am new to this business I would like some advise from more experienced professionals. If you were in my shoes would you purchase a new loader or a good second hand? What are key things i should be looking at when purchasing a loader? What is considered a low hour machine? For home construction what size would you recommend? Am I looking at payload size as a main purchase indicator for this type of work? What are the servicing costs and how often should you be servicing your machine? Is brand a huge thing in this world or brand is not that big of deal, majority of the loaders are "roughly" equal mechanically and price differs dramatically cause of brand and interior luxuries? E.g Close door cabins, Air cons etc... (Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am trying to think of anything and everything to ask) Is importing a machine worth the time in terms of saving money? I am running out of things to ask are there any other important factors I am missing or should be querying? I really appreciate any answers that can assist me or point me in the right direction. Rgds Andrew
One of the best yellow iron investments I made was on a skid loader with over tire tracks . She came with back hoe attachment & heated cab . Opened up some doors for us as we did not have a piece of equipment at the time for small jobs . She really tag teams nice with the excavator . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2470&viewfull=1#post2470 HeavyEquipmentForums If ya want to run on the rubber just remove the tracks .
Thanks i'm guessing it is cheaper to buy? Cheaper to maintain? What are the pros & Cons for these 2 types, and does the one you bought have any disadvantages over the track when you have the track adapter on? Rgds A
We leave the steel "grouser" tracks on all the time . Would be a rare occasion to take it to a job on the tires . One draw back to the type of tracks I run is they tear the hell out of grass about like a D7 dozer . And also would damage asphalt . But they are also tough as dozer tracks & last a long time . CM1995 just picked up a sweet looking Cat 279 High lift . He might chime in . HeavyEquipmentForums
If it's possible, I'd rent every machine you can get your hands on and run each one long enough to see what you like and don't like. I'd stick to pilot controls and stay away from hand/foot to lessen the learning curve between each machine. If you can afford it, a cab will make each day in the machine go remarkably better. And perhaps the most important item is finding a competent, responsive dealer. They can be key in keeping your business running along smoothly with the least amount of downtime during repairs.