Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Injection pump problem

Akmark · 2023-07-22 11:34

Long story short, 1987 JCB 930 Perkins 4 Cyl with mechanical fuel shutoff. I did an in frame engine rebuild. Engine was running fine, I shut it down with the mechanical fuel shut off. Now I'm not getting fuel to the injectors. I am getting clean fuel at the bleed points and fuel lines just not to the lines at the injectors. I'm at a complete loss as to why, any help would be approached. Thanks

Replies21
  1. #1kshansen2023-07-22 13:46

    With any luck thepumpguy will see your post and reply

  2. #2Delmer2023-07-22 14:18

    No electric solenoid on the pump? Try flicking the manual shut off back and forth a bunch of times, leave it in run and rap the pump with a plastic screwdriver handle, add some acetone/flammable brake cleaner to the inlet. Repeat every day.

  3. #3Akmark2023-07-22 16:20

    No solenoid, changed the filter and filled the bowl with injector cleaner. Bled the out and let it sit overnight. I've been moving the lever back and forth, no luck yet. I'll give brake cleaner a try, Thanks

  4. #4Akmark2023-07-23 13:15

    Okay I pulled the top cover off and this part of the shut off is broken. Also pretty gummy in there.

  5. #5Delmer2023-07-23 14:45

    I think, that functions to turn off by pushing and a spring pushes it back on, so it may function like that if the ends are aligned enough that it still shut off the last time you used it. I'd weld that back, grind the sides and bottom smooth, clean it perfectly and put it back. Find the metering valve? that is operated by that rod and the "throttle" control, and work it until it moves back easily on it's own. Flammable brake cleaner will soften and remove that gunk, suck it out of the pump and rinse a couple times to get all the gunk. Extremely careful not to get dirt in there. My guess is the pump will deal with the gunk, but dirt will be bad. Waiting to see what TPG says.

  6. #6Akmark2023-07-23 17:36

    Thanks I'm going to weld it. Now I need to make a gasket. The valve seems free now I did spray it down.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2023-07-24 07:46

    If u weld it, ur building in a problem.. it HAS TO BE FLAT.. It rides in the band that’s on the right side post.. I have all the parts u need + the gaskets..

  8. #8Dave Neubert2023-07-24 16:23

    Just get anther one not worth trying to weld and it binding

  9. #9thepumpguysc2023-07-24 17:09

    It’s on the way… along with the top cover gasket, 4 orings for the throttle and shut off shafts and 2 fiber washers that go under the acorn nuts..

  10. #10Akmark2023-07-28 10:59

    Got the parts, Thanks. Still not getting fuel to the injectors. The shutoff valve was gummed up but seems free enough now. Any ideas?

  11. #11thepumpguysc2023-07-28 11:08

    Could be a handful of things.. Ya got fuel.? Lol.. Could be the pumping plungers are stuck.?? Could be the head and rotor is seized.?? Could be a few things inside the pump are stuck, varnished. It’s hard to tell from here..lol

  12. #12Akmark2023-07-29 16:42

    Got the parts, Thanks. Still not getting fuel to the injectors. The shutoff valve was gummed up but seems free enough now. Any ideas?

  13. #13Akmark2023-07-29 16:48

    So I guess my only option is to remove the pump and rebuild it. I'm trying to find a service manual online but can't find one for a machine this old. Does anyone know where to find one, I've never removed one before. Machine serial number is 930 6072 Thanks

  14. #14Delmer2023-07-29 20:25

    The plungers are probably not moving, either because the shaft is broken, or because they're stuck. There are ways to ATTEMPT to loosen the plungers, or remove it and send it off to TPG or local.

  15. #15Dave Neubert2023-07-30 07:25

    Its a CAV pump just remove the 3 bolts on the gear and the pump is doweled might have slotted gear just mark bolt to gear can't mess it up

  16. #16thepumpguysc2023-07-31 10:17

    That’s what I use to say Dave.!! Until one guy pushed the dowel clean thru to the other side.!!

  17. #17Akmark2023-07-31 11:27

    Well I went to an engine show this weekend so it was left soaking. This morning I was going to start pulling the pump but gave it one last try. Bingo I have fuel at the injectors. I had already drained the fuel tank and changed the filters when I rebuilt the engine. I only use it to load my hit & miss engines so it gets very little use. Any advice on how to prevent it from guming up again, maybe just run it every week? Thank You to everyone for the help, I really appreciate it.

  18. #18Delmer2023-07-31 14:54

    Run it once a year with fresh diesel. If you really want it to survive the apocalypse then find a better fluid, I figure kerosene is more highly refined, so half kerosene and half ATF is what I use in a pump that won't be used. Just mix up a gallon and run the engine till it comes out the return then move the return to the can of mix, and let run another couple minutes so it get to the injectors. Possibly the new bio diesel is better than the old biodiesel and that will eliminate a lot of problems, speculation at this point.

  19. #19Akmark2023-08-05 18:44

    I got the engine running but it running poorly. White smoke at idle, smells like unburnt fuel. New injectors clean fuel. I rechecked the valve lash and they are set correctly. Gonna check compression tomorrow but the engine ran perfectly before the pump plugged up.

  20. #20Swamper2023-10-27 10:13

    you do know that you time the pump by loosen the three bolts an twisting the pump,should be two lines need lining up

  21. #21Akmark2023-10-27 12:37

    It's been resolved, Thanks