hi, have a cat it 38 g, with a 3126 engine and its got bit of black smoke. i think the nozzles need to be timed. would really appreciate if someone could guide me through how to do. cheers
I thought all 3126's had electrically controlled injectors. If it is mechanical like a 3116 the tool set to do that cost thousands of dollars. If I can find it I have the information but without the tools it is worthless.
nope it is mechanical injectors. if i can get the injector timing dimension, i can to it with a vernier caliper as in the past ive been doing that with detroit engines and its works pretty good,its the the same principal i suppose!
Naheed, Give me a direct eamil address via "State A Conversation" there is an instruction form "NEHS0610" that explains how to use the fancy tooling and maybe if you read through it you may e able to adapt procedures to what you have available locally. A quick look at it does look like it is very similar to an old Detroit adjustment. It is a 44 page instruction so will be a pretty big file. Ken
There are videos on youtube if you can understand American English well enough. It LOOKS like a Detroit, but it's way more complicated. If you skip a step, I suspect you'll be worse off than what you started with... What makes you think it needs to be adjusted? Does anybody know if these things wear out, or get out of adjustment after so many hours?
Timing dimension should be on the valve cover. Yes you can just use a caliper to set. I doubt the setting has changed unless you've replaced an injector or seat. Might need to be synchronized though. You can do most of the settings without the fancy tools. What's the serial number?
@ken hey thanks it [email protected] @Delmer , its running with black smoke as you accelerate than clears out! its pointing to nozzles i guess. @Mobiltech , the id plate has fadded off, the only number i can see is 6, theres more infront but defaced, seems like previously someone had opened up for maybe repairs and put it back with out adjusting as synchro was completely out. serial 7bs 00563 cheers
. [ previously someone had opened up for maybe repairs and put it back with out adjusting as synchro was completely out.[/QUOTE] I take back what I said if somebody has been in there. Still not the first place I'd look, but I don't know the history of the machine.
Naheed, any chance you have a Cat dealer who will give you information? I looked up your S/N in SIS and that machine should have engine S/N 55K03871 with build date of 20/11/1998 If you can get the spec from them on the timing you may be able to use it with the instructions I have but I need an email address to send them your way.
already spoke to the cat dealer here, they're called mantrac and couldnt help me instead asked me to bring the machine in! lol just transport would cost me 1000$, [email protected] .
Hey Ken, you can get the info through SIS. Do you have the Engine Performance Specifications link on the homepage? Anway, if you don't the spec is 65.25mm.
Learned something new today, yes I have the "Engine Performance Specifications link" on SIS and see there is a lot of information there, mine talks inches not mm so it shows "2.57 IN" for timing dimension. Kind of strange that it does that these days! OK, took a second look and there is a place to select the measuring system!
So do you have low power and poor running problems or just black smoke on acceleration? If it's just smoke on acceleration there is an air fuel ratio control setting for that. If someone has cranked up the main rack fuel setting you will see more black smoke on acceleration.
hey cmark, thanks those are the exact spec i was looking for! cheers @Mobiltech , power is good, just black smoke on acceleration. air in fuel ratio setting? done on the governer? gonna try and do the timing dimension @65.25 and check rack synchro again and lets see how it goes than take it from there! thanks guys
Also, what altitude are you working at? and does the turbo seem to work good?
here in nairobi kenya we're at about 1800 m alt. plus turbo is new!