Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Insley H600 Excavator

Crash95 ยท 2023-04-08 20:20

A friend has this old Insley Excavator & he really doesn't know much about it. So what I'm trying to find out is the year of this machine. Engine size & make & anything else anyone could tell me.

Replies17
  1. #1Gary Layton2023-04-08 21:33

    Wow! Looks awesome. Does it run?

  2. #2John C.2023-04-08 21:38

    My stuff shows it to be a 1988 model. I don't recognize the engine from this angle. Can you take a photo from the other side?

  3. #3Crash952023-04-08 21:45

    Yes it runs & it's for sale.

  4. #4Crash952023-04-08 21:49

    I'll try to get one tomorrow.

  5. #5Crash952023-04-08 22:22

    It runs.

  6. #6skyking12023-04-08 22:32

    that's a cummins 6bt, methinks. Nice machines. It has a simple thumb weldments on the stick and the circuit for it. cool to have an insley bucket on it That was my first excavator experience, a 1500.

  7. #7Crash952023-04-08 23:53

    Thanks for help. I'm not sure about the bucket.

  8. #8skyking12023-04-09 00:09

    It's a 2' 4 tooth with the heavy side cutters on it. Those are worth rebuilding if it is beat.

  9. #9Lagwagon2023-04-09 01:54

    Cummins 6bt for sure. Anyone know why it would have a manual clutch lever?

  10. #10skyking12023-04-09 02:19

    gotta have that so you can drop the clutch when you are trying to pull start it with the dozer. I was operating a Komatsu 200 one day when it failed to start. The old pipelayer working with me wondered how fast we would have to drag it to get it started.

  11. #11Steve Favia2023-04-09 07:09

    Same here 1500 and a 560? The thing I remember most is that Detroit diesel screaming .

  12. #12BSAA65LB2023-04-09 09:38

    Manual clutch lever was to disengage the pumps for a cold start.

  13. #13skyking12023-04-09 11:36

    I like my answer better. park it on a hill, two guys, some ether, YOLO!!

  14. #14FWD2023-04-09 22:00

    I had a Bantam C-451 that had a disconnect clutch for the pumps FWD

  15. #15John C.2023-04-09 22:08

    Koehring juice machines and early Link-Belt hydraulics also had a master clutch. Most were brutal hybrid machines that used a hydraulic motor to turn down shafts and swing mechanisms that were all mechanical. In addition to cold starting of the engines, they were also a safety feature as you didn't want to be around all those spinning gears and shafts if you had to go back and check something out.

  16. #16Vetech632023-04-10 08:15

    I've rebuilt a ton of those master clutches.......it seemed like they were in everything with an engine at one time.

  17. #17skyking12023-04-13 22:50

    here's one on the derrick Palouse that is air operated.