Folks, Welcome to my first post on this wonderful site! I believe this belongs in the Old Iron forum, but on my farm, this machine isn't that old. If I am wrong, please move me where I fit! I am going to start this thread with a picture on the "semi- finished" machine that I am using to clean the old place up. History: I got this machine around 2006. It was found via Craigslist in Ypsilante, Michigan. The gravel pit that it was stuck in, was due to be made into ANOTHER subdivision. Previous Owners purchased it, and let it sit in the gravel pit growing trees and brush. Finally, the last owner decided to part with it since he had a BIGGER Insley. And the Tale Starts: http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/midmichigun/general farm/Sunday1911118.jpg Watch for more as I upload all my old photos!
All good stories, begin with a journey. My Insley had been in this gravel pit for many years. The gentleman who sold it to me had it running off of a "milk jug" full of diesel, and a mixed set of injectors. We did remove most of the trees and dirt for the journey. This is the condition that we purchased the excavator in: We bought it as a 1968 Insley 560 with a 4-53 Detroit Diesel. Anywho, I contacted a fella to haul this up for me. Here are some photos of the move! I call this one... threading the needle! About this time is when the milk jug fell out of the back of the machine! Finally loaded up, we have this! Here the previous owners (2 generations)... watch us do final loading!
Hello Midmichigun, This machine is not only "old enough" to be on this forum but it is certainly interresting enough.It looks very sharp and tidy.Thanks and congratulationd for having ssaved this Insley for being cut. Out of curiosity, how much bigger was the previous owner machine that he bought to replace this one?? Thanks for posting. Max.
Max, Thanks for your comment! When I figure out how to embed pictures better (still working on it) I will post my further restoration of The Beast. The former owner did send me photos of his larger insley. IIRC he sprayed it a drab color, and removed all the markings for it. If I can dig up that photo, I will let you know since you experts can probably see what it was with just one look. I paid less than scrap metal value for this machine. The former owner was debating about the scrapper, but wanted to see it go to a good home. Regardless, when I got mine home, it was time to further survey the damage. She took some bullet damage to the sheetmetal and glass. Unfortunately I didn't record the "dents" caused by the bullets, but it was interesting to find. None penetrated the metal, which proves that this Insley is one tough bugger. However, I did take the time to photo the control panel for this machine. I have replaced all the meters except for the hr. meter. Of course, all the new hr. meters are much smaller. I was out digging with my Insley, and noticed a drop in hydraulic power. I tried to make the run back to my barn... but we never made it. After noticing a trail following me, I shut the machine down. What I found was a MASSIVE hydraulic leak that actually emptied the machine. One of my drive hoses actually rotted out: To get up there, I had to drop the belly pans.... this isn't a great photo, but it shows how deep the debris were on the inside of this machine. Part of my goal with the 560, was to give it a new paint job. As such, I started to grind/ sand/ repair the metal... here is a WIP photo... And yes... I like the yellow color of my Insley, thanks!
She sure will look tight!! You could take it to antique equipment shows, if you want. Regards. Max.
Yikes, lots of hyd fluid. Have a H560B, manual says it holds 190 gal. Replacing, about a quarter of what I paid for mine! Of course I had to dump a barrel in to bring it up to snuff.