You've seen my bashed Ford thread. Now I've got that really nice hood on there, and I'm more than a little hesitant to cut a hole in it for the cold air induction cowling. A big chunk of me does not want to do this! The truck lives in Western Washington and I don't spend a lot of time hauling big loads with it, so I'm thinking that it may not matter that much. A little background: sometime in the past they zip tied the cold air door to be on all the time. I have no idea what controls that little air cylinder but apparently it's kerflooey in some way or another. Please consider my proposal and talk me out of it if necessary.
We run them Fords with the holes permanently blocked and pulling underhood air from the top of the air cleaner housing all the time The reason is when you plow snow the snow dust rolls right into the side hole and chokes the air filter the ones that were ordered as plow trucks have a factory block off plate and a removable cover on the filter housing others we made our own none of them have you air scoop point is in the summer I leave the block off on and pull underhood air hauling gravel and they work just fine
This one is a 3406 cat, so there is no air inlet behind the Ford turbine looking doohicky. It grabs air through that cowl induction or through a tube facing forward from the underhood air.
I've been under that truck, I say some vinyl flames on each side would compliment the the air cowl and add about 5hp per a sticker If you don't see the new hole doing any good and feel it's more detrimental than keeping it you could always fiberglass it back over and paint it.
So far nobody has chimed in with "cut a hole in the new hood", so I am going to take the pieces off the old hood and take some measurements, and store it away for now. Thanks guys.
I've seen that scoop on L7000 trucks with the 3208 Cat but this is the first I've seen one on a 9000. All the 9000s I drove were Cummins powered and drew the air though that side grill in the hood.
Unless you are grinding your way up hills for long durations WOT, cold air induction is not going to do much for you. It does not matter if the air is hot or cold if you are not using all of it.