Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Installed glad hands for air brake trailer

Dickjr. ยท 2015-03-22 22:38

A while back I asked about putting rear air supply on a truck without the trailer supply valve. Asked around a few places and went back to the guys I always depend on. They put it together parts and labor , repaired the low air buzzer as well for a grand total of 402$ US . The guys are good at truck repair. Only had one problem , the trailer was going to break the new glad hands if turned to short. My neighbor came over and said we can move that in 30 minutes. He went to his work place picked up a few things , a mag mount drill and 45 minutes later we were hooking the trailer back up for test. I also had to repair the wiring , it had an inline splice that was ugly. Picked up a pig tail with connector at TSC , hit Lowes for a weather proof box , a little soldering and heat shrink and I'm mobile. I need to change out my trailer connecting hoses to the red and blue ones that coil up. That's next.

Replies11
  1. #1monster762015-03-22 22:48

    Nice man looks great. Those little single axles fords are great and when you have a air brake tag trailer it makes that much better here is a pic of mine hauling my uncles backhoe

  2. #2Dickjr.2015-03-22 23:05

    I bought the trailer for 5700$, it has some rust spots but it is a Trail King TK40LP , 20 ton. Has aluminum ramps with rubber belts on top. I know that trailer new is over 20 grand. Pretty pleased with it , never had it loaded yet but we will see soon.

  3. #3monster762015-03-23 05:55

    I went from a 10 ton triple axle to a 20 ton tag eager beaver and it is night and day you also will be very pleased now you can safely haul alot more equipment

  4. #4Dickjr.2015-03-23 15:38

    I meant to point out that the way the apron is bent up on the tailgate , I had thoughts of straightening it. But I noticed after spreading rock on driveways that if the gate was set right more rock goes in the tracks then the center. Looks , bad , functions wells.

  5. #5CM19952015-03-23 18:36

    You might be on to something.

  6. #6Dickjr.2015-03-23 19:55

    I may have started a trend , every body wants a bent apron now.

  7. #7monster762015-03-23 20:10

    Post a vid on youtube and name it custom apron

  8. #8Dualie2015-03-24 00:02

    I stopped using glad hands on tail board brake lines. Using industrial style 3/4" quick disconnect fittings now just something i found works better for me.

  9. #9CM19952015-03-24 07:07

    I find that the QC's work better for me as well.

  10. #10Dickjr.2015-03-24 13:16

    I thought about using quick couplers and may end up with them after all. It would be easier to rig a cap to keep dirt out for sure. This is what I like about this forum , picking up little things here and there helps a lot.

  11. #11Dualie2015-03-25 01:26

    I also had a tri axle tag that i used to pull for a company that i did a lot of business with, that little bugger would skid all 3 axles if you even thought about braking somewhat vigorously. i would leave the service side disconnected to keep from flat spotting 12 tires when empty. Dont tell the DOT though.