Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Installing track pads question

Welder Dave ยท 2026-05-25 23:56

I had to remove a track pad to put a sprocket weight on. The bolts were still oiled and like new but I put some more 30wt oil on the threads and under the head. The bolts all fell right through the pad and rail but I noticed the holes weren't lined up exactly perfect. Should I loosen them and make the holes on the pads line up perfect with the holes on the rails?

Replies4
  1. #1Tones2026-05-26 02:30

    As long as the pad is parallel to the one in front and back you should be Ok

  2. #2Welder Dave2026-05-26 13:12

    It is, I looked at that. I could snug up all the bolts with my fingers right up to where a socket was needed to turn them. I watched video's where people put track pads on high track machines horizontally under the sprocket. I would think that would cause the holes to be a little off too.

  3. #3nicky 68a2026-05-27 02:13

    As long as the mating surfaces are clean as you can get them,be all good

  4. #4Welder Dave2026-05-27 04:00

    The pad was tight when I took it off and the bolts and nuts looked like they were just put on. Still oily. I couldn't find my torque wrench so I snugged them with about an 18" long bar and guessed about 70 ft./lbs. Tight but didn't reef on it. Then I turned them an additional third of a turn. Used about a 2' foot snipe and just over 1/3rd of a turn was about as tight as they'd go. I think they should be good but I'll monitor them when I'm doing some work with the loader.