Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Insurance Claim?

01Time · 2021-01-31 22:49

My Caterpillar 246 is personally owned for personal use so when I bought it, my insurance agent said I didn't need any additional coverage, it would be covered under my homeowners policy. At the time, I was more concerned about theft more than anything. But today, apparently some brush had gotten underneath the cab and I was burning brush at my place, when some hot embers got to the dry brush under the cab, catching fire. I was able to get the fire out before it burned down the whole machine. It looks like some hydraulic hoses and some wiring took the hit. Anyone had anything similar happen to them and filed an insurance claim? Any words of advice? Attached is a photo if anyone's curious. I was using dirt to try to smother it before my wife brought me the fire extinguisher (I had removed it a few months back because the bracket had gotten loose and I never put it back). If there was a quick release for the canopy, there would be so much less damage. Because, getting the right sockets and employing fine motor skills during a stressful event is extremely difficult. (Yes, that's a bag of ice my wife threw in there for good measure.)

Replies20
  1. #1petepilot2021-01-31 23:54

    never been in that situation` but washed out clean the damage may not be as bad as it looks ` still be a costly repair` as for ins, ????

  2. #2KSSS2021-01-31 23:57

    While mulching, I had the loader arms up. Stupidly I opened the door and grabbed an apple off a tree. I sat back down in the machine and the loader arms fell down. Moments later the back of the machine started smoking, and quickly started a fire. The loader arms prevented me from opening the door. I used the hydraulics to lower the arms enough to get out. I was just about ready to kick the plexiglass door out. I got the fire out with dirt, extinguisher was in my pickup not in the machine (next stupid thing). Insurance picked up the fix. It was about 15K. The cause was a line blowing in the back of the machine spraying on the muffler and turbo. So my guess is, depending on the policy you should be covered. I took mine to the dealer, they did a breakdown of the costs and it was taken care of. It was one of those days I really should have went fishing instead. Lessons learned though.

  3. #3Nige2021-02-01 17:27

    Have you got something in writing from your insurance agent confirming that you “didn’t need any additional coverage” for the skid steer..? I sure hope so.

  4. #401Time2021-02-01 18:12

    I tried to clean it out today, but I think it's going to need a pressure washer to really get it cleaned out. Funny...I was supposed to do something else yesterday, but I changed it at the last minute...and same thing with the fire extinguisher!! But, I am optimistic hearing that your insurance company covered your fire...fingers crossed here. I didn't get any additional coverage. I have an email chain between me and my agent discussing this, saying it wasn't necessary. So, if she was wrong, I'm thinking she will leverage her status and get it taken care of. I did speak with the claims rep assigned to me and he said he's never worked a claim on something like this, but isn't anticipating any issues. He did say he needs to review the policy documents further before making any final determinations, though. And he said that they won't be sending out an adjuster like they would on an tradition auto/home claim, that they would used the repair estimate from a repair shop. Any reason I shouldn't take it to my local Cat dealer?

  5. #5Nige2021-02-01 18:26

    I think if it was me I'd be tempted to get a quotation for the repairs and have it approved by the insurance company before giving the dealer the green light to actually put the machine right.

  6. #6DMiller2021-02-01 18:31

    Our farm insurance covers all my farm machinery, drop a wheel, bust a axle or theft/vandalism even a fire are covered, that I do have in writing. Maintenance items as flats or worn out not covered.

  7. #7doublewide2021-02-01 19:12

    I've always felt that filing an insurance claim was like shooting yourself in the foot.

  8. #8KSSS2021-02-01 19:37

    Yea I think it really just a loan. They are going to get their money back from you. The CASE dealer submitted my claim to the insurance and they did agree to cover it before any work was done as Nige stated. I wouldn't take it anywhere but back to CAT. Mine was a mess to fix. There is always more to fix than what it looks like on a fire as I learned.

  9. #9Nige2021-02-01 19:42

    It’s also worth asking the dealer to quote on the basis of “as seen” and clearly state that other items may come to light once disassembly starts. In other words get the insurer to write a blank cheque before starting work.......

  10. #1092U 34062021-02-01 19:54

    Same here. Might not be all that bad once its all cleaned up. Hate to see what those crooks at the insurance company would do to the premiums for a small(ish) claim. Total loss would be another story of course.

  11. #11John C.2021-02-02 11:44

    Labor on burn jobs always seems to cost half again more than the estimate. If you have an honest dealer repair shop, they will let the adjuster know that. If they are slow in the shop they might under estimate to get the job. If the shop is busy and the repairs might be controversial, they will fatten up the estimate to total the machine and maybe look to purchase the salvage. If this is your first claim, the insurance will probably not have any issues.

  12. #1201Time2021-02-04 15:59

    UPDATE Well, my insurance company denied the claim. Apparently, there is a provision in my (and presumably in most) policy that excludes any personal property that is wheeled or motorized unless the loss occurs on the premises of my primary residence. I have my machine out on my property that I am clearing to build my new home on later this year. Well, I used all of my water that was on site on the fire, so I need to bring some water back out there and start cleaning it up to fully inspect the damage. I'm really hoping it's just cosmetic and some wiring...I don't think it got hot enough to do anything to any metal. Maybe o-rings for the hydraulic fittings?

  13. #13CM19952021-02-04 19:05

    That sucks 01. The devil is in the details or in this situation the fine print. Best of luck! You're in good hands here on HEF as we have a multitude of knowledgeable members willing to help you out.

  14. #14KSSS2021-02-04 23:30

    Man that sucks. sorry to hear that.

  15. #15Tinkerer2021-02-05 08:06

    I learned the same thing when I purchased a new John Deere zero turn lawn mower. I drive it four blocks from my home to mow my grandsons lawn. I asked my insurance agent if it was insured when I went there because I was worried about bad things happening. Like your ins. company -- as soon as it leaves my property where I live there is no longer insurance on it. I had to declare it separately on my homeowners policy. It didn't cost much. But, now it is fully insured wherever it goes.

  16. #16Mobiltech2021-02-05 11:16

    Insurance is a wonderful thing if you never use it. When I add up all the money I’ve saved not insuring small stuff like lawn mowers and atvs I can go out and buy a new atv without spending a dime. I believe insurance is for the big stuff Like houses and and work trucks.

  17. #1792U 34062021-02-05 12:04

    Just be glad you folks don't own a condo........... Insurance is through the roof on those now. Like to the tune of almost $5k a year.........

  18. #18Philip_Green2021-03-07 21:25

    I probably wouldn't make a claim on it, the hoses are probably still good. Just clean it up inspect the damage and get an auto electrician to fix the wires. The excess may not cover what the cost of the repairs would be

  19. #19Walker12021-03-07 22:13

    I would probably just dig in and fix it and leave the insurance for really catastrophic things.

  20. #20catman132021-03-07 23:45

    if the hoses look like they got hot i would replace them, or [ murphy says you will later ] and if they blow you may have a fire and lose the machine