Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Insurance for privately owned semi

_Weldman_ · 2019-01-31 09:38

Have a '86 International S1954 semi and got letter in the mail from "State Farm" they are dropping my insurance due to too large of vehicle they want to insure it commercially. Geico won't do it and not a fan of large insurance companies. Got till March to find someone, looking in the Montana area around Miles City.

Replies6
  1. #1crane operator2019-01-31 10:02

    Are you using it as a tractor trailer? I thought you might have been using it to pull a camper, but I don't remember. Anyways, if you are using it only recreationally, you may look into title/ regestration etc. as a RV instead of as a semi. Like the RV guys use for pulling a camper.

  2. #2Bluox2019-01-31 11:05

    I have Progressive on my KW service truck. Bob

  3. #3Junkyard2019-01-31 11:41

    Progressive would be my suggestion as well. They’re not terrible to deal with.

  4. #4bam19682019-01-31 13:37

    A number of years ago we used Farm Bureau on trucks that ran locally and got along good with them. We had to switch to another company when we needed to bump our radius up.

  5. #5_Weldman_2019-01-31 14:35

    Can't use Progressive they are suing me for 50k for a auto accident 5 years ago which I call B.S. on who's fault it was. Doing 40 mph in 55 on icy roads on Oregon interstate on corner that bends to the left and felt the (F450) truck break traction tried to straighten it out couldn't for some odd reason and found out after I did complete 180 degree with bumper trailer. Between my truck/trailer and concrete barricade was mangled Subaru that came from who knows where and I believe they hit my truck as it isn't first time my truck has been hit and didn't feel it. They totaled the car out my insurance dropped me blah blah blah and next day one the passengers claimed their neck hurts. Due to being dropped by insurance company I now owe them 50k been in and out of court systems since then over whole ordeal. I still was able to drive the truck to Texas after the accident with the trailer.

  6. #6_Weldman_2019-01-31 14:36

    No no tractor trailers going behind it, I'm using it to pull a cabover camper at same time using it occasionally to pull a trailer like you would use to move tractor around or get building supplies. Think of it as using it as pickup truck just larger scale. Has no air brakes all hydraulic.