Hi guys, I am looking for thoughts on final drive setups where you use a integrated motor and motion control valve like you would with say a Bonfiglioli 707CK. The advantages are it's compactness for equipment design. But how about serviceability ? Thanks, JON
That unit looks like any excavator track drive motor except it only has half the number of mounting bolts. I would guess it is a planetary drive. My experience with excavators is that all you do is change oil at the proper intervals and they last forever. Normally though people never change the oil and somewhere shy of 7,500 hours they trash out and lock up. You pull it out, replace it with new unit and go back to work. Fixing them usually costs more in parts than buying a new unit. Also I've yet to see anyone with specifications of minimum thicknesses on the thrust washers and many times the gears end up cracked anyway.
Hi John C. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Yes, I just snagged that photo off the net. It most likely a wheel drive setup, but I would be using the track drive style with 24 mounting bolts. Do you think it would be better to have a non-integrated setup where you could simply change the gearbox without also changing the motor? I think the cost would be on the order of 2 times more expensive.... On the other hand, I am also space limited and like the idea of not buying a gearbox, motor, mcv, and hoses instead of just one compact unit. Thanks!
I think space considerations were the first issue in going to the integrated units. I've not seen any longevity advantage between the two. If the price is twice as much for the separated units then money would be my primary reason to go the the smaller one. Good Luck!
slow speed x hi torque have used excavator track motor to dr a drill head ex700 Hitachi & pc350 for a coveyor drive locked inow change planetary oil at1000hrs still going after 10yrs
Thanks Oldtom, that is good to hear.
That looks just like the motor on my JD ct 332. When they are running they are great. But when a bearing in one of the sun gears poops the bed and does all kinds of damage to the other gears and to the main housing it's self you wish there was a seperate final and drive motor.
thanks for your input buckfever, how many hrs typically before a gearbox in the application poops the bed? thanks