Hi, I am new to forum and am here because I am interested in getting into some earth work. I have a mini excavator Kubota KX41 and an old skid steer about 50 hp. I am wondering where would be a good place to focus my efforts with the equipment I have and where the work seems to pay decent and be pretty available. I am going to work part time till I can get some good experience and work and plan to go full time in a year or two. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Machines are tools. Usually the machine is chosen based on the job(s), not vice versa. Why do you have these machines? What do you use them for? Is it a service that you can develop and offer to others?
I am a mechanic by trade and have acquired these machines as payment and to be fixed and was thinking I could make good use of them, even to maybe make a living. Just looking for some good areas that I could make use of them.
Well, I kinda agree with joispoi, but if you can find a good use for them, even making money off them, good. But get your heart set on it. A lot of guys here think: oh let me get a TLB, and then can't operate or don't want to operate, don't advertise, and the machine is repoed 2 months down the line. Just my.02 cents worth.
Landscaping
Brantford, Ontario? Welcome to the board! Guess a lot of the answer to your question depends on where you think the economy is going. On here and elsewhere you see/hear about things being slow with our southern neighbours, and it's hard to say if, when, or how hard it will affect us when the time comes. There is always the option of running the gear as a part time/weekend thing, and see how it goes. It would also give you time to get better running the machines. Even with running mini ex's for several years, now and then I'll get a job I have to do some head scratching to figure out how to do the job.
I agree with jonboy. Landscaping or maybe small site erosion control installation
First thing, find some insurance. You will at least want a policy for "grading of land" at a minimum and may need an "excavating" policy if you want to install utilities or dig footings. Next, find your local underground locating service contact number and put it in your phone and on the front of your scheduling book. Never, ever start digging with your mini until you have a locate!! The bobcat is easy to learn to drive but will take a little time to become efficient at operating for a profit. Really the same goes for the mini. You didn't say if you had experience with either machine. For the skid steer I would consider construction clean-up or maybe some type of work with an attachment. The 41 won't go very deep so you will be limited to footings, gas, electric and water services. I dropped cards off at the local plumbing supply when I got my mini and ended up with some good plumbers to work for. The erosion control sounds like a really good idea. I have developed a network of plumbers, concrete guys, remodelers and general contractors that keep me pretty busy. If things get slow or since you are just starting out you will have to advertise or hit the streets to start generating some work. I know working for the commercial guys is steady but the mom and pop jobs usually pay when you load up to leave. I guess I enjoy both just for a change of pace. Good Luck.
if yer not in to them to much you could rent them to small contractors like landscapers plumbers, electritans etc small co"s with insurance that will cover rentals. NO HOMEOWNERS!! unless they can verify they have the experance to run them. my buddy has a skidloader he only uses to plow snow with . In the warmer months he rents it and makes more money than plowing snow. just a idea:beatsme