Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Interesting job location

GregD1 ยท 2014-09-30 10:20

Got a machine back together at the Ford proving ground yesterday. They stick a piece of tape over your camera lens on your phone at the gate. There are cameras everywhere. Signs all around warning you not to spend any time around the vehicles. There were about 6 SUV somethings parked by the building all with covers over the front and rear, cut outs for the lights and a black and white camo type paint job on the doors and roof. Another 6 or 8 something down the line totally covered. Used the restroom in the shop. There were two Toyota something in there with enough wires on it to look like the space shuttle. Three big electronic boxes on the seat with wires all plugged in, 3 or 4 lapptops and about 6 guys all around it. The building was full of lifts. there had to be at least 50 above floor post style lifts in there with about 10 having vehicles on them. There were also about 50 pallets with 55 gallon barrels on them. Some were labeled "test gas" and the others "test diesel". Looks like they don`t even get the bugs worked out ith the same fuel we have to use. It would sure be interesting to see what else they have hidden away from the roaming eyes of visitors.

Replies5
  1. #1712alberta2014-09-30 11:49

    I would imagine that they are probably checking to see if or how well there new engines run on different grades of fuel, and probably differing quantities of Bio-fuel. Being a Ford guy, that would be a pretty awesome place to do a job.

  2. #2Delmer2014-09-30 15:15

    I was thinking they just needed a "standard" fuel for testing purposes. If they tested with whatever came in the truck the results would be junk comparing one batch to the next. Nebraska tractor tests do the same thing, correct for fuel weight, etc. I've had some Fords I liked, but I'm like Willie, if it's made in the last 25 years I couldn't care less.

  3. #3lantraxco2014-09-30 16:03

    Probably formulated to the EPA test standards. As Delmer said, something to make all the comparisons from the same baseline.

  4. #4Twisted2014-09-30 23:25

    Speak softly if this is part of your job. I know these places and they don't like to be spoken of. Just saying.......

  5. #5GregD12014-09-30 23:38

    Thanks for the warning. No, this was just a one time visit.