Saw these on a project the other day. Aparently the contractor builds the scrapers and makes mounts so they can be pulled by their articulated dump trucks. If they need dump trucks for a job they can put the dump boxes back on. Saw them being used a little today mostly being push loaded with a D8T although I did see them self-loading a couple of times.
I saw those same units on 218 by Floyd the other year. Had to do a double take. Would definitely have to push load but you get high speed travel. And you can put a box on the same power unit = versatile
A company named Eject builds some like these. I saw some 45? cu yd units last summer working here. Like these: http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8932889
He should be able to self-load. No different than a farm tractor pulling a scraper.... Slower? Yes, but still do-able. Andrew
I have heard claims that they work better then tractors. I've never seen them in the field though.
No they do not work better then tractors. They would do about the same if you put smaller pans behind them (18 yard) but that big of a pan is hard to get loaded, they have to be pushed for a good load. T9gdon, the setup on machinery trader is actualy one of TJL old setups, but it could only be towed by a 740 and was loaded by 385. Worked well if you had downhill momentum to get them going but if you had to pull up out of a cut they were no good, pulled the guts out of em. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZUO7wbXXN4
Yeah, they were towed by 740's and loaded by D8t's. Looked to be approaching the productivity of a good D9G operator and 463 towed scraper setup in the rough caliche they were in. Ledcor had them here. They were for sale last fall, don't know the reason.
Mobile track solutions is who built this one same outfit that originally started eject that was sold to cat. They have a website with some pics of their products.
Not sure about the scraper but they do make some neat track conversions for the 740.
I think this is the biggest ADT pulled scraper. http://www.ktecearthmovers.com/k-tec-1254-adt Saw one of these behind a straight frame Cat truck one time but can't recall the model number.