Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International 1600 transmission locked up

RJune · 2025-04-07 23:07

I have a 1989 international 1654 with Spicer ES-42-5D transmission anda7.3 motor. I was backing up then went to pull farword and it was hard to get shifter out of reverse. It will stall engine even with shifter in neutral. Any ideas what happen or what to check thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1Shimmy12025-04-07 23:27

    Need to pull the shift tower and make sure the rails are lined up for neutral. If they are, you might have to pull the whole top cover to inspect. Probably be easier to pull the whole thing out.

  2. #2Truck Shop2025-04-08 08:05

    Normally when a issue like that happens it's trying to engage two different gear ratios at the same time. These gear boxes had a rather cheesy set of shift rails and it's a semi tunnel type gear box, sort of. Eaton's Road Rangers will do the same thing {lock up when clutch is released} because the locking washer key for each gear has broken allowing a gear to move from it's locked position on main shaft. Yours doesn't have that but a snap ring on main shaft locking a gear/gears into position may have broken also. Exploded view below. Or it could be a common issue with shift forks/rail. * https://www.pgttruckparts.com/v/vspfiles/static/resources/manuals/spicer/ES42-5D.pdf

  3. #3skyking12025-04-08 13:20

    hat that happen with a 1700, it got forced sideways when a motor mount broke and granny was engaged but the shifter was in neutral.

  4. #4RJune2025-04-08 21:00

    Thanks I take shifter off in place first to look then pull it if needed. Are these hard to rebuild if that’s needed. I do have moderate mechanical skills.

  5. #5Truck Shop2025-04-08 21:06

    Look for a manual, there were some on ebay.

  6. #6RJune2025-04-10 23:29

    I ordered a manual for transmission. How can I tell condition of the clutch once I pull the transmission? The clutch seems to work good but my foot has to be almost off petal before truck moves. What is proper positioning?

  7. #7Truck Shop2025-04-11 06:50

    This is for 15" but principle is the same. * https://arrowdetroit.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Clutch-Failure-Analysis-Guide.pdf