Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International 4900 4×4 – Larger Steer Tires and ABS Issues?

highcoranch ยท 2025-12-30 19:15

I have a '98 International 4900 S/A 4x4 dump truck with 11R22.5s on it currently. I'm due for new tires, and am curious the thoughts on 315/80R22.5s vs 385/65R22.5s. I know the 385s will work fine, as they are common enough around here on county plow/dump trucks and a few guys I know run them on their S/A 4x4 dump trucks. International dealer said they thought the height difference was fine relative to gearing for 315s, but were more concerned about how the ABS would handle the inch difference. I'd like more float up front than the 11R22.5s if possible, the truck is 19k empty. The truck is used on our ranch and for local trips to the pit, driving conditions can vary wildly from well maintained gravel & paved roads (including snow covered) to softer conditions around the ranch in the warmer months. Curious if anyone has input on if the 315s will give me more issues than the 385s, cost is close to $1k difference in wheels and tires with the 315s being the cheaper course of action. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Truck Shop2025-12-30 19:53

    For what your doing not much of an issue for simple fact I doubt it sees any real speed. And off road is not a value anyway.

  2. #2BC Placer gold2025-12-30 20:03

    My only comment (as a driver) is that I notice on our International 2574 the steering cut/turning radius is quite poor with the 385's. The truck came equipped with these tires from the factory. This is a 1989 tandem with 198" wheelbase....It also has twin steering boxes. We are off-road a lot and I do think less effort for drives to 'push' front axle when in mud/soft ground; just need a lot of room for maneuvering! 4x4 sounds handy!

  3. #3materthegreater2025-12-30 21:17

    I have 315 steers on my truck. They're really not much wider than 11s. I don't notice any issues with the ABS. I don't drive on pavement in 4wd. Sometimes loaded heavy off road I have to back up a little or turn side to side to get the steer axle to disengage. Not any different than other 4wd vehicles I drive. The wider the tires, the less snow traction you'll get.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-12-31 08:55

    Yeah, only problem is turning radius gets reduced and I think in 4wheel Dr, might tend to push the front end around more.