Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International 500

Robert Wottlin ยท 2019-02-01 12:20

I have an International 500, early 70s model No.10. The machine starts and runs great except it will stick in reverse, it doesn't seem to matter left or right and it won't stick every time. I could jump off the tractor and it would spin circles until it ran out of fuel. It will pop out of reverse by moving the tractor forward. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1ACBJohn2019-02-07 11:16

    Need more info. "it will spin circles" - are you saying that one steering clutch will stick but only when in reverse? "It will pop out of reverse by moving the tractor forward" - that's what it's supposed to do! Please be more specific.

  2. #2Robert Wottlin2019-02-07 15:05

    Yes the clutch sticks in reverse. When it sticks its always fully engaged and it takes moving both levers forward to unstick. The problem is the full engagement, there is no feathering a turn or backing at an angle. The track locks up no matter how much pressure is being used.

  3. #3epirbalex2019-02-07 16:38

    Does this model have a pin at the bottom of the stearing clutch housing that enters the bottom of the stearing brake band ? I had a TD5 that had much the same problem as you have . TD5 brakes were "dry" and the pins rusts out leaving the band to move too far . Used to make quite a noise when it grabbed . Are you able to show a picture of the underside of the housing not quite at the bottom , what I'm wanting to see is a small flat area with 2 small bolts holding a small plate , it may even show the outside end of the pin , about 5/8 inch where its welded to the plate to hold it . If it is this there is no big problem to fix or expense , unless , and there is always an unless , the square part thats on the band has been knocked off or flogged out by the pin , I found that the band part usually was able to be used again .

  4. #4ACBJohn2019-02-08 07:15

    Yes, what epirbalex said...the brake band should have a steel plate with a 5/8 hole welded to the brake band. The hole goes over the pin in the bottom of the clutch housing and isolates the band so it can't become self-energizing. If the hole gets worn and/or the pin is not square on the end, the band will ride up off the pin and wedge on the steering clutch OD. I have a '67 straight 500 and on the earlier ones, the pin was part of the final drive support. I had to remove the support, weld up the pin and grind it to fit as it pilots in a hole in the bottom of axle housing. I also welded a couple of passes around the steel plate on the band to build it up so it couldn't ride up off the pin. As stated above, yours should have 2 bolts holding a rectangular plate with the pin in the bottom of the axle housing. You have to pull the steering clutch to get to it. If you haven't done that before, it isn't too hard...I can help you with instructions.

  5. #5epirbalex2019-02-08 15:23

    Another little thing , if you have to remove the steering clutch , the pinion shaft has a thrust washer on the inside of the bullgear housing , this needs to be secured otherwise it drops into the bottom of the housing , its posssible to retrieve it with wire and a flashlight . It can be seen through either of the drain plugs providing 500's have the 2 when its in the bottom . If there is no thrust washer on the shaft it may well be down there already , left there last time the pinoin shaft was out . Again , there is no big job here or expense .

  6. #6Robert Wottlin2019-02-09 09:04

    Thanks guys after I get snow plowed I'll pull it in the shop and check for the pin

  7. #7watglen2019-02-10 21:43

    This thread got me thinking about old times. My dozer addiction started early... We think this was 1978 or 79.