Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International 7400 4×4 how reliable?

rmllarue91 ยท 2019-12-12 12:04

Window shopping 4x4 medium duty chassis for a service truck. Not ready to buy now just looking down the road. I've been seeing alot of bucket trucks affordable forsale dt 466 or 530 mid 2000s most are autos. I have no experience with medium duty 4x4s are the transfer cases and front axles high maintenance and what options are worth looking for. What I know about Allison's is when they break it's $$ but usually last after. I guess that's what I know about international motors lol. Let me know what you folks think.

Replies7
  1. #1rmllarue912019-12-12 12:11

    like this $20-30k just looking for chassis they seem to cheap for something reliable I know they will have lots of hours

  2. #2mowingman2019-12-12 18:13

    Well, I can tell you that you need to avoid any truck with a Navistar Maxxforce diesel engine. Those engines have had terrible problems. Especially with the DEF and Regen systems. They just plain do not run good. Ours have been in for warranty problems many times. Now they are out of warranty and we are stuck with them.

  3. #3DMiller2019-12-12 18:41

    Spent an evening looking over one for a buddy of mine, price was where he was getting excited could afford. By the time we loaded up and left he was depressed as truck was done and done in. Warning lights came on never went out, supposed to have a DEF Delete but that lamp on and engine not running so good, oil looked like road oil and tires were just slick Did some quick figures for Clutch, Brakes, nearly every hub seal was leaking or seeping suspect axle vents choked tight, Oil everywhere on rear of engine not certain from where coming, trans oil was below where I could find it sticking a finger in it. IF have to have the truck have a decent local mechanic YOU KNOW look it over, you hear a cash register dinging along, RUN.

  4. #4just do it2019-12-12 19:13

    mowingman you are quite right about the maxforce! I drove one and put about 325,000 miles on it,I think it was transtar also drove a prostar with a cummins with about the same mileage never had any problems! what i found out about the maxforce if you did not let it do a complete regen it would cause a carbon build up and mess up the egr valve on them!if you let it do a complete regen they were pretty good motors not great the problem was allot people did not want to take the 20 to 30 minutes for to do a regen ! also both trucks had eatonfuller manual trans. I know the new iternational come with a redesign motor,also depending on the size truck you can get a cummins ,maxforce R.I.P. !!!

  5. #5rmllarue912019-12-13 13:56

    Okay so definitely pre emissions. This one is a 05 it's a dt570. Just egr ? 07 or older or stay away from international motors all together. We have three trucks in fleet but a high ground clearance 4x4 would be awesome for mud season.

  6. #6_Weldman_2019-12-13 14:14

    Seen a lot of these 7400's online cheap since researching this truck on what it is, looks like something I could take my mechanical DT466 and stick in it with little finesse and some customization of the dash.

  7. #7just do it2019-12-13 18:22

    1st thing I would ask do you have service records? do they have air brakes?if so check exterior tanks (air) on driver side prone to rust also pull cable to bleed tanks check moisture content also check compressor with your foot on brake apply pressure to check for air leaks then pump until alarm goes off ! then pop the hood check all lines then belts also check injectors for fuel leaks ! oil level as well, ask them if if you can check front and rear diff. fluid levels ! also if you can engage 4wd also check u joints if the diff.fluid looks milky walk away ! one more thing just because it has a egr does not mean it will not have problems to much idle time on engine will lead to carbon build up which can cause problems for the turbo !and last check fluid level on trans. and smell it ! if smells burnt runaway ! It sounds like allot to check but it sounds likes allot of money for that type of equipment.I hope this info. was some help,and I hope it works 4U !