Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International 8100 steering box

BAD5oh · 2024-08-21 04:50

1998 international 8100 6 wheeler. I just replaced the Sheppard M100 steering box with a reman from the dealer but can’t get it to steer properly. Here is what I did: - Centered wheels - With pitman arm off, I centered the steering wheel. From center I get 2.5 equal turns each way when connected to the steering box - connect pitman arm and I get 1.5 turns to the right and 1 1/4 turns the left - if I adjust the pitman by one tooth, now I get 1.5 turns left and 1 1/4 right The 1.5 turns in either direction and the truck turns fine. The 1 1/4 turn definitely does not steer enough Is my procedure wrong? I can’t figure out what I’m missing or what’s happening

Replies5
  1. #1funwithfuel2024-08-21 06:38

    Are you hitting the spindle stops against the beam?

  2. #2funwithfuel2024-08-21 06:47

    I see in the instructions, you've already made a bit of a mistake. You weren't supposed to go lock to lock without the pitman arm attached. . See attached.

  3. #3mekanik2024-08-21 07:03

    There is a timing mark on the shaft and on the pitman arm that should be aligned.

  4. #4BAD5oh2024-08-21 07:40

    ‍♂️I’ll have to go give myself a kick in the ass for not looking up the proper instructions first. I definitely didn’t do it correctly. Very much appreciate the responses. I’ll print out the instructions and start over.

  5. #5Old Doug2024-08-21 08:21

    I am getting ready to replace one i have read and reread the paper work that came with it.