Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International cab question

05rammer ยท 2016-04-27 12:10

I am curious as to what trucks the 4900 cabs would fit on. It seems to me that a lot if International trucks use the same cab, at least they look the same, haven't had them side by side or do I know a whole lot about them.

Replies7
  1. #1JD88752016-04-27 22:27

    Not sure about cabs but the hoods are the same from 89-02 and model 3800 busses, 4700 trucks and 4900 trucks. John

  2. #2Shimmy12016-04-27 23:30

    4900 is the S-series chassis. Same cabs on 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2200, 2300, 2500, 2600, 4700, 4900, and 8100. There might be more, but those are what I know.

  3. #3mitch5042016-04-27 23:41

    That basic cab structure was used on many, many, medium and heavy trucks. All the S-series from '79 up, the 4900, 4700, 8100, etc. and more. I don't know if they still use it, I haven't kept up with the last few years. I seldom work on things until they are 8-10 yrs old. There are many variables between models, however. Things like size and shape of the hole in the firewall and floor, cab mounts, and more. I once needed a cab for an '87 S-2300 (the 2300 became the 8100 with just a new hood) tractor with an L-10 Cummins in it. I ended up getting one from an S-2500 straight truck with a Cat. It took a lot of labor hours to make the change, the firewall and floor had to be reshaped entirely.

  4. #4mitch5042016-04-27 23:43

    Shimmy typed faster than me again.

  5. #505rammer2016-04-29 21:25

    Thanks guys for the information. I'm thinking about putting a crew cab on an 8100.

  6. #6Shimmy12016-04-30 01:19

    Your answer was better, Mitch.

  7. #7mitch5042016-04-30 01:37

    It'll work, but it will probably take a lot of labor hours. You really need to have the whole donor truck, not just buy a cab, there are many pieces you won't think of until you start. Besides the floor, firewall, and mounts, your air and electrical systems will probably be different. I ended up putting both cabs side-by-side on the floor, stripping the dash and all the plumbing and wiring out of the 2500, then taking the wiring harness and air system out of the 2300 as complete as possible, and putting it in the new cab.