Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International Harvester 3400A TLB Hydraulic Cylinder Question?

Sean1013 ยท 2015-07-05 18:16

I am having trouble breaking down the cylinder on my IH 3400A I have tried a pipe wrench with a 10 foot piece of rigid conduit and all i seem to be able to do is bend the conduit. I am wondering if there is something that I am missing, that I have to do before I remove the cylinder retaining ring? any help would be great, pics of the cylinder thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Blueboy2015-07-05 21:25

    I'm not familiar with this kind of cylinder. Some have a setscrew in the cap that screws into the housing threads. Try hitting the cap with a 4 pound hammer while trying to unscrew it. It's a good idea to wrap the rod in foam padding, for obvious reasons.

  2. #2willie592015-07-05 21:54

    Welcome to HEF Sean1013. :drinkup Like Blueboy said, if it's a threaded gland head, make sure there's no setscrews locking the gland head. Here's a thread that describes the peening technique he mentions.> HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3Sean10132015-07-06 08:32

    Thanks for the help I'll give that a shot